Anger: Word Prompt





Wrote this as a short exercise for a word prompt. The word was anger and it triggered a certain memory. Felt better after writing this as writing is cathartic. 

 

It was sometime during my childhood when I was strolling inside my apartment complex. The sun was making its way to the other side and the sky was turning a gradual shade of pink. I was standing by the bushes and watching the flowers when a faint meow echoed in my ears. I turned around and saw a few boys teasing a kitten. I still recollect the terror in its eyes while it was trying to escape from their clutches. They were making faces, whistling and calling it names. By no means it appeared like a simple play. Even  my 9-year-old sensibilities told me that. I clenched my fists as a surge of rage erupted inside me like a volcano. I saw red and blindly rushed to the kitten’s defense.

 

“Leave that kitten alone you big bullies,” I hollered hoping that I looked like a scary dragon that would make these boys scurry away like frightened rabbits.  Instead they laughed and gave me a scornful look. I looked around and spotted the security guard standing near the gate. I rushed to him and pleaded. With his stick, he chased away the boys while the kitten ran away. Yet that rage never left me and remained dormant in me since that day. How I wished I could become strong enough to intimidate bullies and prevent such heinous acts. 

 

Many years later, in a park, I encountered a similar incident. This time it was a lady trying to hit a cat. The same surge of rage enveloped me as I marched towards her with my fists clenched. This time, I was fitter, stronger and no more a meek 9-year-old. “What the heck to do you think are you doing? Leave that cat alone. Do you hear me?” I bellowed. The lady turned around startled. I gave her a piece of my mind. She opened her mouth to retort but the sight of my red face and blood shot eyes made her withdraw. I finally resembled the dragon that I yearned to be. She shook her head as we exchanged glares. I was satisfied to see her lower her face and run away.  I blinked as the sun made its way to the other side. The cat managed to slip into the bushes and ran away from there. 

 

Later at dinner when my husband asked me if it was really necessary to lose my temper. “Anger is a sign of weakness,” he said. 

 

“Well. Not when you use it as a strength to protect those weaker than you,” I replied. “Especially when its involves cruelty to animals and dealing with bullies.”

Comments

KParthasarathi said…
In then first instance, the youngsters were teasing a cat whistling, making faces and calling names. They possibly did not touch her or harm her. Your anger as a nine year then stemmed more from your sense of right and wrong. In the second incident you were justified to lose your temper as the woman eas trying to hit the cat. Anger is a virtue if shown for just causes.

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

The Call of the Wild : Movie review