Wink : Word Prompt


Wrote this for a word prompt based on someone's insistence. The first thing that came to my mind when I saw this word 'wink' was a song from a Hindi film. Decided to pen down an experience...

It was a random Saturday evening. We were gathered at a friend’s place for a small together. Seated in the living room, the cool summer breeze wafted through the windows, providing that respite from the sultry weather. 

 

Music was playing in the background. It was an eclectic mix from soft rock to pop to Hindi music. The conversation veered towards the changing trends in music and enquiring about everyone’s tastes and preferences. When my turn came, I quipped saying I enjoyed listening to Pop, House, Rock and of course Hindi music. I made a statement about how nothing could beat the 90s music which had some melodious memorable tones with lyrics that one cold actually sing. Unlike today where rap and remixes drown the actual essence of the song.  


This was met with a response which stated that the 90s music was outdated and today’s music was the in thing. I looked at the man who had uttered this. His face had a know it all expression. His hair tied into a ponytail and his fingers were firmly clasped around a cigar in his hand. I shook my head partly in amusement as I had come across several people like him in the past. I listened to him rattle on about the contemporary music having more life in comparison to the old ‘drab’ numbers. 

 

Just then the host decided to serve some snacks along with some drinks. Another song echoed from the speakers.  This started off with some beats and dhol, getting some others to tap their foot and sway lightly to this peppy number. “Ho dil dhadkaye Are Seeti bajaye Haye dil dhadkaye Seeti bajaye Beech sadak pe nakhre dikhaye Saare, karke ishareHo ladki aankh, aankh, aankh  Ho ladki aankh, aankh, aankh

Oh ladki aankh marey Aankh marey." 

 

“Which movie is this?” someone asked.

“Simmba,” somebody else replied.

“Isn’t this a remake of an old song?”

To which I jumped in and remarked, “Yes the original number is from this 90s-movie called Tere Mere Sapne. In fact, remixing the 90s songs seems to be the trend nowadays. First Shehar ki ladki and now this.”


 I turned to the man with the ponytail whose face had a resigned expression. The kind when a person knows he is outwitted. 


I winked at him and said, “Nothing can be the 90s music. Old is Gold.” 


The evening continued with an encore of this Aankh maare number leaving everyone in high spirits. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

The Call of the Wild : Movie review