I am a Rock believer





When you know where you come from

You back down for no one

Just be true to yourself, it's your life. 🎵

 

 

 

These are the lyrics of a ballad by rock band Scorpions, featured in their latest album titled Rock Believer. 

 

This band holds a special place in my heart as I was introduced to rock music through their numbers. I was probably eight or nine years old when I accidentally stumbled upon their audio tape in my parents’ music collection. As a latchkey child, I was mostly accustomed to an empty house. Occasionally the sound of rustling leaves would reverberate inside the apartment. While I enjoyed silence and solitude, I craved a little noise, and often played music in the background while doing my homework. The music ranged from English pop or Indian film music. Back in the 80s numbers from Abba, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Madonna, and Boney M were regular on my playlist.  When I was bored of listening to the same numbers, I’d rummage through the shelves looking for something new. It was then I came across Scorpions and Dire straits. 

 

From the first beat of Rock you like a Hurricane, I was looked. It was love at first sting, (pun intended). Klaus Meine transported me to another world. The synchronized harmony of guitar, drums and the vocalist were mesmerizing. It was like someone cast a spell on me. Hours ticked away, my homework lay unfinished on the desk, and I was reveling in their sting. Something about the voice of Klaus was soothing. There were times it reminded me of the gurgling sound of stream. There were times it was so powerful that it sounded like a thunderstorm. Other times, it reminded me of the sound of waves crashing on the shore. It was distinct. I was hooked. 

 

Their songs helped me drown other noises that disturbed my psyche. They shielded me from the sound of incessant arguments, door slamming, raised voices, and hysterical sobs over long-distance calls. They comforted me during moments of loneliness inevitable as the only child. They soothed me during times of turmoil when I hit puberty. They made me feel everything would be alright again. They imprinted my heart, they pieced through my soul. 

 

Over time, I was lured by Dire straits, Queen, Def Leppard, Bryan Adams, Jon Bon Jovi, Pink Floyd, and others. My love for Scorpions remained embedded in my subconscious. Somewhere the wind of change kept blowing inside me. Recently I stumbled upon their latest Album Rock Believer. What a pleasant surprise. I logged on Spotify and the numbers streamed out of my earphones. The voice of Klaus elicited the same reaction. For a while I was transported to my childhood. Only this time, the house wasn’t silent, I wasn’t lonely. However, my turbulent mind needed some clarity. With the spring semester on, my mind has been racing with thoughts about writing, and craft, especially dialogue. I was advised by my doctor, to use this spring break to unwind. 

 

Out of all the numbers, the ballad from this album struck a chord. The lyrics were beautiful and philosophical. It was exactly what I wanted to hear. The line Just be true to yourself, it’s your life, is just powerful. Lately, I’ve been contemplating about who I really was. Whether I am extrovert, or an introvert. I’ve always liked socializing with people, especially those who were like minded. I am not exactly a fan of those typically narcissistic, loud souls who engage in meaningless conversations. Or the kinds who think they know it all. 


Listening to these words enabled me to do some soul searching.  What do I really want? One of the main things I realized while growing up is that one cannot get along with every person on this planet. Your vibe attracts your tribe. Even if I feel like an outlier with the Indian tech crowd in the bay area, or even in my other communities, the important thing is am I being true to myself? Am I mindful of my likes and dislikes or how I want to spend my time? There are days, I don’t feel like thinking about writing/craft. There are days I just want to laze around, stare at the sky and let my mind rest or listen to music. I don’t want to feel pressurized by what the rest are doing. After all its your life as Klaus sings. Thank you, Klaus. Thank you Scorpions for still rocking like a hurricane for over 5 decades. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

The Call of the Wild : Movie review