Different shades of Fitness: The Navrun 2020 experience




Navratri is a time that I usually look forward to every year. This is primarily because my running community- Mumbai road runners (MRR) organizes Navrun-a concept where participants have to work out for 9 days continuously wearing the colors pertaining to that particular day. It’s sort of a runners’ Garbha/Dandiya. This year it was even more special because MRR was supporting 9 different NGOs with their various causes. 

 

Fitness is my religion and I couldn’t find a better way to celebrate this festival. Working out continuously for 9 days is no easy feat. The human body is susceptible to breakdowns at any point in time. Given the current situation with the pandemic, there was also a high risk of catching the virus and being quarantined for 14 days. Thankfully nothing of that sort happened.  The positivity in the air with the blessings of the Goddess and words of encouragement by other fellow runners kept my energy levels high. 

 

As I trace back the journey of these 9 days, I realize that each color had a strong impact on the choice of my workout. This in turn reflected upon the state of my mind. 



Day 1: Grey:I usually associate grey with dullness and gloominess. Seeing grey clouds often leads to my depressive state as I am someone who loves sunshine and blue skies. All the more reason why I had to start off this day on a high note. I had to dispel those bouts of moodiness that engulfed my mind like a dark cloud. 


Grey is a combination of 2 colors-black and white. There are times when it tilts towards black which results in ash grey and at times it tilts towards white. I chose to do a brick workout to represent these 2 colors. 


Brick workout involves 2 disciplines at the same time and is an essential part of triathlon training. It could be a swim followed by a bike ride, a bike ride followed by a run or a swim followed by a run.  I ended up doing a 22-km bike ride followed by 5 km running. This double workout enhanced my spirits and set the tone for the rest of the festive days. 






 


Day 2: Orange: This is a color that represents sunshine and happiness, strength and endurance. Wearing this color spikes my energy levels. I have had strong runs on hilly terrains in California wearing this color. Somehow, I always associated this color with a stupendous performance. 


Orange also represents flames of the fire which could result in unwarranted aggression. In order to dowse those flames of fury and restlessness, I resorted to swimming. So, I swam 1.4 km wearing an orange color swim cap. It involved some endurance and resistance drills which symbolized this fiery shade. 








 

Day 3: White: This is a special color as it’s the meaning of my name. White symbolizes purity, peace and goodness. I did a 90-min walk/hike along the streets of San Francisco City. My alma matter (University of San Francisco) organized a social distance walk with one of my professors. It was interesting to meet some other fellow students in person which was a pleasant change from the virtual interaction via zoom. The walk was rejuvenating and restored some peace in my mind, body and soul. 


The icing on the cake was visiting City Lights Bookstore-one of the landmark bookstores that specializes in world literature. I ended up purchasing 2 interesting titles. I took a picture near the bookstore as books symbolize Goddess Saraswati who is also clad in white. 













 

Day 4: Red: Red is another fiery shade that symbolizes violence, anger and love. Wearing this color induces a certain amount of aggression coupled with arrogance. I strongly believe that when such powerful emotions are channelized in the right direction, it can result in a feel-good factor and induce positivity. Ended up doing a 10-km run followed by upper body and core strengthening exercises.  It involved 2 sets of

Chest press

Shoulder press

Rows

Bicep curls

Tricep dips

Ab crunches.







 

Day 5: Royal Blue: Blue is the color of water, ocean and the sky. It’s one of the most pleasant colors and a treat to the eye. This color symbolizes freedom, depth and has a calming effect for the mind, body and soul.  Knowing my turbulent mind which is susceptible to blues, I turned to the waters again. 


Being a water sign, I always find peace in swimming. In fact, I consider it my yoga. Swimming helps me attain stability and also provides that calming effect. Ended up doing a 1.5-km swim. 









 

Day 6: Yellow: This shade symbolizes sunshine, hope, happiness, freshness and energy. Having grown up in warmer climates, I always relish sunshine and heat. Fortunately, California has plenty of sunshine even throughout the winters. Wearing this shade made me feel quite upbeat and energetic. I did a 9-km run followed by leg and core strengthening exercises. It involved 2 sets of

Squats

Lunges

Leg curls

Calf raises

Adductor

Abductor

Ab crunches.

 

Not only did I feel fresh but also happy to bask in the California sunshine post the workout. Incidentally my book titled 'A Turbulent mind' also has a yellow cover. I ensured that I held my book that particular day. Its available at most of Crossword book stores across India and can be ordered on amazon, flipkart and crossword.in.  










Day 7: Green: Green is the color of nature. It symbolizes harmony, growth and balance. I strongly believe that in order to enable growth, one needs to come out of their comfort zone. 


According to me, a brick workout challenges you and enables your growth with regards to endurance. I did a 22-km bike ride followed by 3 km running and core strengthening exercises. Incidentally the numbers (2+2+3) added up to 7 which highlighted the 7thday of Navratri.







 

Day 8: Peacock green:Peacock symbolizes freedom, spirituality and is associated with Goddess Laxmi who is the Goddess of wealth. Green is also the color of renewal and rebirth. Did an 8-km run which corresponded with the 8thday of Navaratri. A run definitely makes you experience freedom and get in touch with your inner life. The transformation that it brings, makes you feel like a new person. 


I remember how running transformed my life in 2012. Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon in 2:03 at the Mumbai marathon was a life altering moment. It gave me a sense of purpose and a new identity. Not to mention, it restored my confidence levels and changed my lifestyle, after a harrowing bout of illness and hospitalization. I actually felt reborn on the run that particular year. 







 

Day 9: Purple: Purple symbolizes royalty, grandeur, power, mystery and magic. I managed to finish the last day of Navrun with a grand 1.5 km swim. There is mystery and magic in the waters. It surprises you with its magnitude and healing powers. The majestic nature of water can be experienced when you swim amidst the waves. There are times when the waves aid you in your mission with their gentle push. And sometimes, they are so rough and it makes it difficult for you to swim. 


I swam in a pool that day. The icing on the cake was to spend a few minutes at the Jacuzzi to ease those tired muscles after working out for 9 continuous days. It actually made me feel like royalty. 

 



This was my 6thyear of Navrun. Every year has been a relatively smooth ride. I hope to continue doing many more such editions in the coming years.  The camaraderie with other runners during this time is enhanced through appreciation and motivating one another.  The inevitable withdrawal symptoms began to creep in on the last day. I comforted myself saying that it would just be a matter of time before Navrun 2021 arrives. In the meantime, life will go on as usual. However, these 9 days were a source of brightness especially during this pandemic when there are no running or triathlon events.  Jai Mata Di!

Comments

TT said…
Awesome efforts and commitment
TT said…
Awesome efforts and commitment. Chitu Shetty

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

The Call of the Wild : Movie review