Just another Run day: A toast to the love for running

It was the 25thof August. Not a special day by any means. Neither was it my birthday nor my anniversary. Yet it felt special for some inexplicable reason.  I had stepped out at the break of dawn onto the quiet streets. There was a sort of lingering grey tone to the atmosphere. Perhaps it was the remnants of the smoke and ash that had emanated from the fires that had erupted around the Bay area. 

 

The bad air quality during the weekend had barred me from going out for a run. After a long overdue of the lockdown period, it was tiresome to stay indoors on a weekend. So it felt refreshing to step out again in the open air. Plugging my music, I began my strides and entered into a rhythmic pace. A pace that enabled me to experience mindfulness and savor every breath. The virus was consuming several lives and in the past few weeks, it was shocking to hear news about fellow runners breathing their last. 


 

Just as I turned around the corner, a glow caught my eye. The greyish skies were exhibiting an illuminating shade of orange. The tall trees and the neighborhood houses appeared pale in comparison.  I felt a sense of serenity interspersed with delight. It was the same feeling that occurred many years ago. 2011 to be precise.  It was the year when I began road running. After a heavy dosage of night life for 3 years, it felt invigorating to be able to witness the sun coming out of the clouds and smiling at me.  A sight that I always cherished. Irrespective of the numerous times I see this glorious sight, there is always something new. It symbolizes a fresh start, a sort of awakening and a new beginning. A sight that is soothing and that which feels like a reassurance from the divine forces above. 




 

I soon ventured into a trail that I usually run on. The creek was overflowing and the green shrubs adorned it from all corners. It appeared like an abstract sketch of an artist. Amidst that green and colorless shade of water, I spotted a white speck. As I drew closer, the shape enlarged into a pearl white egret. Standing there calm and unfazed, it appeared to be in its own world. Just like how I usually am, when I am running. 






I turned around and followed the trail which led to the roads.  By now I could see a car or two. The sun was making its way to give a grand appearance for the day.  Running along the pavement, I caught sight of yet another display of nature’s artwork.  Amidst the dark green shade of the tree were spurts of bright pink. It almost felt like the tree was sprouting candies.





  Below that were tufts of purple merged with yet another shade of green. The sun by now had made its presence felt. Beads of sweat began to form on my forehead.  I hastily wiped them and ran along.  Cars were increasing in numbers, and a few walkers were scurrying about. Amidst all the chaos that had erupted, was a squirrel under a tree, blissful in its world of nuts. 




 

There have been several people who have asked me this question in the past- “What motivates you to get up so early in the morning and run?”

 

Seeing nature’s glory and these little marvels is certainly an incentive to wake up at the break of dawn. Not only do you have the roads for yourself, there is a different world that you see.  I call this the runners’ world in which the canvas presents illuminating shades. It makes you realize the blessing to be alive. 


August 25th was just another run day. No medal to boast of, no timing chip, no bib. As paradoxical as it may sound, even an ordinary run can turn out to be an extraordinary one. The endorphins kicking in throughout the day reiterated the special effects of running. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

My friend Ganesha: Friendship with God