My journey with Enid Blyton



Enid Blyton! The name just brings a smile to my face along with a wave of nostalgia. I am instantly transported to my childhood days just like how her stories transported me to a magical world of pixies, fairies, brownies and elves. 

After I got over my phase of those picture books and Grimm Brothers Fairy Tales, I was introduced to books by Enid Blyton when I turned seven. I still remember my first book that I read. It was titled Mr Pink Whistle's party. I skimmed through the pages and was soon immersed in a world where a nice man comes and sets things right for children. I was hooked. 

From there on, I was introduced to the Five Findouter and Dog series. Staring with The mystery of the burnt cottage, the series of 15 books introduced me to 5 smart children, an adorable dog, a pesky policeman, some disguises and chuckles. My favorite being The Mystery of the Missing Man. After which  I feasted on Famous Five and Secret Seven. 

Then came the magical world of the Faraway tree series. How exciting it was to climb a tree and visit the different lans at the top. And dear me! The characters of Silky, Moonface, Saucepan man and Watzisname stayed with me for a long time. Not to mention Dame Washalot and the angry Pixie. I never looked at a tall tree the same way again. As a child smitten with curiosity, I often looked for magic in the trees and woods. And that hasn't changed even as I turn 40 in the coming year. Overtime I venture into the woods in California, I marvel at the tall gigantic redwoods, half expecting an elf to climb down the tree or an opening of the slippery slip. 

The adventures of the wishing chair left me dreamy.  Its often said that books transport the readers to places. Sitting on my own chair at home, I often found myself flying to far off places until a knock at the door brought me back to reality. The several escapades with Peter, Molly and Chinky rendered fun times and dispelled my loneliness that I often faced as the only child. 

I came across series of Mr Meddle which sent me rolling on the floor with laughter at the character's antics. I also recollect visiting farms such as the willow farm or Mistletoe farm which introduced me to a different life altogether. A life which involved hard work in the countryside. Mr Galliano's circus game me an insight into circus life and what goes on behind the scenes.  Lotta and her house and Jimmy with his dog lucky were some of the memorable characters. 

I moved on to the boarding school series-the naughtiest girl, St Clares and Malory Towers series. I was around nine then and by then I had also began to read classics. Nevertheless, I was fascinated by the solemn lessons that was incorporated at boarding school. Whether it was the deep friendships, imbibing the sense of honor, learning those pleases ad thank yous, these boarding school series were vital in shaping my thought process-so much that I often myself as an outlier in the social setting. I was also intrigued by the lacrosse matches and midnight feasts. Being a foodie, I virtually tasted those eclairs, sardines, treacle puddings, ginger beer and macaroons. This was a good depiction of what I'd call delicious piece of writing by the author. 

In a way, my writing style as a child was influenced largely by British Authors-Enid Blyton's in particular. I was thrilled when my essays were read out in English class and when the compliments would pour in. I was hardly conscious of the fact that reading enhanced my writing skills-a fact that I later realized when I grew older. Books by Enid Blyton had me quite absorbed and left me little time to watch Television or movies. It was only when I was compelled to learn some regional languages, that I began to watch films as a medium to understand these languages.  Even today, a part of me longs to revisit these books. Maybe I would someday. 

 In the meantime, Happy birthday Enid Blyton. Thank you for making my childhood very memorable. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

My friend Ganesha: Friendship with God