Giving back in a small manner: My volunteering experience

As a runner/triathlete, I always appreciate the volunteer support at any running event. To me they are our unsung heroes without whom our runs would deem impossible. Placed at regular intervals, these kind-hearted souls provide the much-needed hydration and refreshments like energy gels and fruits.

When I got an opportunity to volunteer at a running event organized by Vibha, I eagerly accepted. Vibha is a non-profit organization in the Bay area that focuses on the development of underprivileged children in India. One of the members of Team Asha-the group whom I train with, introduced me to one of the race coordinators. I was supposed to be the bike lead for the 10-km event. The bike lead usually leads the front runner/elite runner throughout the course. 

The day before the event, I was given a course preview. Incidentally I had done an event sometime end of March which was on the same course. It was an out and back route. So, it was important for me to know the exact turn around point of the 10-km run. I walked through the course with the coordinator who explained the placements of the aid stations and what I was supposed to do. I was also given a sky-blue t shirt - the volunteer t shirt that would enable both the lead runner and race officials to recognize me. 

The 10-km run was scheduled at 8 am the next day. I arrived 45 minutes before the event. It was a chilly morning and I cursed myself for having forgotten my jacket back home. I biked around for a bit hoping to warm up a little before the race. I parked myself at the starting point of the trail which was about 100-200 metres away from the start line. The half marathon had already commenced and some runners were already on the course. I had to also ensure that the runners gave space to the 10-km lead runner and avoid overcrowding on the trail. 



At sharp eight, the horn blew and I glanced at the flurry of runners bursting from the start line. It was like a bomb exploding, with several pieces scattered in different directions. I noticed a guy in fluorescent green leading the pack and coming towards the trail. As soon as he saw me, I began to pedal. I ensured that I kept a safe distance and gently requested the 21 km runners to keep to their right. 

It was a beautiful trail with trees on either side of the pathway. Some leaves were scattered on the ground and the dots of green and yellow made it quite a pretty sight. It was a straightforward course with slight bends and turns. No way could a runner get lost but I ensured that I was within sight. At many places, I stopped my bike to ensure he was able to spot me. 



The trail had a couple of inclines and passed through a beautiful stream. The lead runner was running a great pace. He  seemed to be in terrific shape. After ensuring that he did not miss the turn-around point, I lead the way back again.




The route was quite crowded and I took a good lead this time, trying to clear the path for the lead runner. “To your right, to your right, 10 km lead runner coming behind,” I shouted ensuring that he wasn’t slowed down because of the crowd. A frustrating feeling for anyone who was running at such a terrific pace and was probably trying to clock his personal best. 

We were almost home and all the time I ensured that he did not lose sight of me. I soon came up to the same point which was 100-200 metres to the finish line. I stopped at directed him to the arch.  “Good going,” I said giving him a thumbs-up sign. I could hear cheers as the emcee announced the winner. He had clocked 39:14. 



This was one of my best experiences. It was one thing to run and get a medal at the end of the run. Another thing of being a part of an event as a volunteer. I strongly believe that while I take a lot from the community, it’s equally important to give back. As H Jackson Brown Jr quotes- “Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.” 

I couldn’t agree more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

The Call of the Wild : Movie review