Not every run is for a medal: The ADA 5k run experience

It was sometime around the month of February when Doc (Kumar Janardhanan)- one of our runner friends from Chennai told us about the ADA 5k run. It was a run organized by the American Diabetes Association scheduled on June 9th2019. Doc said he was coming for a conference and said that the run would be a good chance to catch up. Amit and I signed up immediately and the registration was free of cost. 



We were up by 3:00 am on June 9th. Partly because of the India-Australia cricket match, tracking our friends at the Comrades runners in South Africa and partly because we had to be at San Francisco city by 5:15 am for our bib pick up which was at a place called Pier 32. 



One of the best things about being an early morning runner is the sights that you are treated to. It’s an entirely different world and nature paints a vivid picture. Streaks of pink in the sky are reflected in the ocean. The sun slowly begins to peep out of the clouds. The radiant glow of yellow illuminates the sky ensuring the folks on the ground to avert their eyes to this resplendent sight. The Bay bridge glowed at the brink of sunrise. 










After collecting our bib, we walked around the pier, enjoying the scintillating views of the bay. After a while, the crowd started streaming in. We spotted doc and went up to him. It felt like old times again. Seeing a familiar face in an event was something that we missed in California. The race began at 6:30 am sharp. 


Since I was barely recovering from a viral attack, I wasn’t sure how I’d do. Especially since I was still facing some chest congestion and a running nose. Nevertheless, I started with the 30-minute bus. The course was flat and passed through the city. The sun was already up and it was a little warm. As usual, I had come dressed like an Eskimo, thinking that SFO would be cold and windy. To my surprise, I was running strong. I began to overtake a few runners and at the 3rdkm, I overtook the 30-minute pacer and went ahead. 





Amit joined me and he went a little ahead. I tried to push but my lungs wouldn’t let me. I started coughing but I ensured I did not stop. “Hell no. No way am I stopping”, I said to myself. I slowed down a little and picked up pace at the last km. My legs were strong, considering all the strength training that I had been doing. I increased my strides and crossed the finish line in 00:28:39. 

“Not bad,” I thought considering my personal best timing for 5 km was 00:27:30. I could have clocked the same, if I did not have that tiresome viral that made me croak like a frog. It turned out to be an unexpected tempo run and a good one that too. 

After clicking the after run poses with doc, we went back home. It was a run where there was no finishers medal given. However, it was a memorable one as we got to meet an old runner friend after ages. It made the visit to the city worthwhile.



One would wonder if it was worth driving 45 minutes in the morning for just a 5k. As I strongly believe, it wasn’t just a 5k. It was strong and sweet like a cup of Caffe latte or a Hot chocolate. Runs aren’t always about the medal. Sometimes it’s about a cause or just a simple pleasure of meeting a friend. 

When we reached home, we managed to watch India beat Australia and our fellow runners finish strong at the daunting Comrades run. It had been a Sunday well spent!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

The Call of the Wild : Movie review