The festive 12-day fitness: MRR Christmas Challenge experience

Winter was here. For a change there were no travel plans this winter break, given the increasing number of cases in California. It appeared that Christmas and New Year would be a rather dull affair in 2020. Just as I braced myself to prepare for the inevitable dreariness that was bound to set in with the cold spell, an unexpected Facebook invite dispelled that dreariness instantly. 

 

I clicked on it to see that it was an invite to participate in the Christmas challenge for 12 days, wearing the colors of Christmas-red, green and white. It was organized by Mumbai Road Runners. As per the challenge, we were required to do some sort of a fitness activity for 12 continuous days, be it a run, bike, swim, strength training or a hike and post it on their social media page. 

 

My eyes lit up and my lips curved into a smile. I almost felt like a little girl being handed her Christmas present by Santa. Finally! There was something to look forward to. I always enjoyed these little challenges organized my MRR. It was fun to post, encourage and support other fellow participants. Thankfully, the shelter in place in California wasn’t like the one imposed in March. Outdoor recreation was open and I could still swim, bike and run. Some places had outdoor gyms with adequate social distance norms. 

 

My first step was to assemble red, green and white shirts and swim caps that I’d require for the next 12 days.  I decided to alternate the colors in that order, follow the workouts given by my coach Viv. At the same time, I decided to write a few lines about the symbolic representation of these festive colors and how it reflected on my state of mind and workouts. 




 

Day 1: Since the challenge commenced on Christmas day, I couldn’t think of a better color to start with besides red. Red represents energy and is also the color of a brick. I decided to start the 12-day challenge with a brick workout. Brick workout involves two disciplines one after the other and is usually a vital part of the training regime for triathletes. Its either a swim followed by a bike ride or a bike ride followed by a run. 

 

I did a 27-km bike ride followed by 6 km running. It was a good way to ring in Christmas which of course was followed by a nice healthy meal, movie and reading The Gift of the Magi. This was the first year, after a long time that I refrained from drinking red wine on Christmas, keeping the health resolution in mind.




 

Day 2:  Green was the color of the day and it was a perfect shade to go with my work-out for the day. It’s a shade that represents nature, renewal and harmony.  I did a 90-minute hike on a trail. 


It was a cold and windy winter evening. Nature looked absolutely surreal with its magical grey skies and illuminating shades of green from the trees. Being amidst this enchanting world instills a sense of harmony in your mind, body and soul. The brush of cold air on my face left me feeling rejuvenated, ready to take on the challenge the next day. 






Day 3. White: This is a color that resonates with me the most as it’s the meaning of my name. White symbolizes purity and according to me, there is nothing better than a run to declutter your mind. I ran 8 km and this was followed by core strengthening exercises that included plank, bicycle and reverse crunches.







 

Day 4: With the first cycle of colors completed, it was back to red again.  The energy and action elements associated with this shade induced me to do some running drills followed by an hour of tennis on an unexpectedly hot day. The heat tried to sap my energy levels.  I suppose wearing this resplendent energetic shade helped in warding off the negative energy of wanting to give up or succumbing to the warm weather. 

 

I recollect having started to play tennis back in 2011 when I was trying to build back my strength after a bout of ill health and being bed ridden in the hospital. Tennis helped me acquire some stamina levels and the presence of a good coach worked wonders. I ran my first half marathon in 2012 in a strong fashion. 










Day 5: I often associate green with harmony and balance. 


One such sport that requires immense amount of balance is biking, which otherwise would lead to a fall and sometimes fatal injuries. Biking is also a leveler in that sense and keeps you grounded. I did a 40-km bike ride today that blended in perfectly with the color of the day. An interesting thing is the biking also provides that balance between a swim and a run in a triathlon race. 







 

Day 6: The color of this day represented peace, spirituality and freshness.


 Being a water sign, I tend to find a lot of peace in water, be it open water or in a pool. I did a 1.5 km swim. I strongly believe that water is a healer and it has an uncanny ability to induce a fresh mind and get in touch with your spiritual self. After every swim, I come out as a calmer person. 






 

Day 7: With the second cycle done, I needed every ounce of energy and dose of inspiration. It was good to adorn red once again. The power of this color is inexplicable and tends to act like booster to pump up those energy levels. I ended up doing a 9-km run which was followed by some leg strengthening exercises that involved, squats, lunges, step ups, leg press and leg curls. No doubt it was tiring and my legs felt like jelly. This was a clear indicator that I had worked hard and the beads of perspiration on my forehead proved it. 

 







Day 8: Green is also associated with growth and harmony. Growth occurs when you normally get out of your comfort zone. And voila, this metamorphosis lasts for a life time. This sort of transformation makes you feel like you have been reincarnated in the same birth. On tired legs, I managed to do 45 minutes of HIIT workout that involved plyometric and upper body strengthening. Along with squat and lunge jumps and burpees, I did some amount of rowing, push-ups, bicep curls, triceps extension, chest and shoulder press. To achieve some harmony, I ended up doing a 2-hour hike on hills and trails, basking in the glorious views. It was also a great way to ring in new year. 


 

Since I mentioned change in the above passage, I would like to add my inputs about strength training. Sadly, there are several misconceptions with regards to weight/strength training. It is assumed that one would bulk up by lifting heavy weights. It isn’t necessarily true. Like my trainer says at the gym, you see changes in your body only when you lift weights. Having been a regular at the gym since 2008, I have seen the repercussions of not doing strength training. It has resulted in injuries and a not so toned physique. Muscle, though denser than fat, makes one look a lot younger. A toss-up between cardio and strength training works wonders. I’d say strengthening exercises are my Kavach and kundal (Reference to the character of Karna in Mahabharata). I may not be invincible with regards to mortal life but lifting weights makes me immune to those tiresome injuries. 








 

Day 9: Now, white is a shade that represents beginnings. I began the new year with a 27-km bike ride. Incidentally 27 adds up to the number 9 which coincided with the day of challenge. And 27 also happens to be my birth date. 





 

Day 10: The last cycle was left before the Christmas challenge ended. I had to keep going. My muscles were beginning to feel sore. I couldn’t give up. Not with just 2 more days left. A sudden surge of anger enveloped me. I took a nap, rested my body before I went for a short swim. 



Red is a color of anger and heat. As I had mentioned earlier, water was a healer and a coolant as well. I couldn’t think of a better way to ease the anger of my turbulent mind with an easy and relaxed swim. Did around 1.3 km swimming and came out feeling calmer.






 

Day 11: Wearing a color that symbolizes nature, renewal and freshness, I ensured that I worked out a good sweat by doing a 10-km run. It made me feel rejuvenated and a cool down walk towards green pastures blended in well with the theme. 






 

Day 12: I decided to end the MRR Christmas challenge by wearing two colors-red and white. While red stands for action, white symbolizes sincerity. It was my sincerity which ultimately lead to some action on my part to finish this challenge with a grand 30 km bike ride.  

 

Before I could blink an eye, the 12 days of Christmas whizzed past in a jiffy. It just felt like Christmas around the corner and here we are in the new year already. After a depressing 2020, 2021 is slated bring hope and recovery. With no races or events for almost a year, such mini challenges kept the motivation levels high and provided that sense of accomplishment-something that I missed. It felt wonderful to get immense support from friends and fellow participants. Their enthusiasm and zest boosted my festive spirit to keep going especially during times when I’d feel like giving up. Not to mention, it kept the much-dreaded winter blues at bay. A special mention to my life partner who patiently clicked my photographs after every workout. A big thanks to MRR for organizing this. And huge congratulations to all those who participated in the challenge. We ended this by making a collage of those 12 memorable days. 




 

With the dawn of the new year, I hope to see the familiar arch of the start and finish line of a race soon. I have given up wine and almost given up sugar (if a bowl of strawberries doesn’t count), given up dairy. Green tea has been my favorite drink for a while. Incidentally 2021 is my 40thyear and I hope to work harder, improve my intensity and feel 20 years younger.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

My friend Ganesha: Friendship with God