Strides to freedom: First run post lockdown experience



I stepped out and blinked, letting the warm rays of the sun brush against my face. I looked up at the glorious blue sky and took a deep breath. The scent of summer slowly wafted into my nostrils. It was an unusually hot day. Not the ideal weather to step out for a run. Especially after being cooped up indoors for almost 2 and a half months. I wasn’t complaining even though 8 am felt like 12 noon. It just felt great to be outdoors again. 





California was moving to phase 2 where people were allowed to go out for a walk/run/hike, maintaining 6 feet social distance. The roads were practically empty barring a car or two. I set into my strides. My legs were rusty at first but eventually found its rhythm. It felt like catching up with a long-lost friend. It wasn’t just another run that morning. I was putting my foot forward for a good cause.

 I had stumbled upon the page of Coastal Trail Runs which had announced a virtual run. Proceeds of the registration fees would go to the Covid relief fund. It was disheartening to read and hear about the Corona virus that had clasped the world under its deadly spell. So, I was glad that I could do my part and contribute towards a cause.




I ran past houses with perfectly manicured lawns and rose bushes. The trees were gradually turning a shade of purple as they do every summer. A couple of people were walking their dogs and we exchanged smiles. Taking occasional sips of water, I soon reached San Tomas Creek trail which was about 1.5 miles away. I spotted a couple of runners and some bikers. I ran along the trail, taking in the beauty of my surroundings. The white flowers growing on the creepers to my left. To my right, the creek was sprouting tufts of green along the stones as the water flowed gently amidst them. The sun was beating down harder with every minute. I paused and poured water on my head. Just then I heard the birds chirping and the gentle rustle of leaves. It was soothing to my nerves. I stood there and savored the moment before I continued the strides again. 


I soon reached the halfway point at 3.15 miles (5 km) and my Garmin buzzed. It was a sound that I was hearing after a long time. Everything felt new yet familiar. The day was turning into one with paradoxes. Even my run felt new, transporting me back to my first road run in September 2011. The excitement was palpable despite the scorching sun that was getting unbearable every minute. I paused, took sips, poured water on my head. I had to keep going, I told myself. 



During my runs, I am usually grappling with a million thoughts in my head. At that moment, something struck me. I recollected the news that I had read about the several migrant workers in India. They were perennially on the road battling torrid weather conditions, parched with thirst and hunger. They were probably walking several miles for days together, unsure of how long they had to keep going. While here I was just another 5 km away from home. Yes, I had run out of my hydration but I knew I could quench my thirst in another 30-35 minutes. I wasn’t too far from home. What must they have gone through? With toddlers and infants, those poor beings were subjected to such torture. Home was probably a distant dream to them. What was I complaining about? 

I looked up at the azure blue skies and muttered a silent prayer for those helpless souls. It was the least that I could do. Trudging along the pavements, I ran steadily crossing those rose bushes and well-manicured lawns again. 




Everything seemed perfect and normal on the outside. Probably it was nature’s way of offering comfort, saying that things would return to normal soon. I soon finished my run and felt the surge of adrenalin rush. The endorphins kicked in. The flush on my face, my watery eyes and my million-dollar smile said it all as I glanced at the picture taken post the run. I was experiencing the runner’s high after a long time. I finally felt free from the clutches of the four walls that I was confined within ,for the past two and a half months. This was just the beginning.

Comments

Ruby said…
Awesome
KParthasarathi said…
Glad you could run after a long time.It is a beautifully written post describing the natural beauty of your part of the country in the and contrasting with the bitter travails of migrants here walking long miles in the oppresive summer in hunger and thirst.
I hope you can now run frequently.
Whirlwind said…
Thank you @ Unknown

Thank you Kp! Yes thankfully we are allowed to run.
Satish gujaran said…
Great you took that initiative to run outdoor.
Nicely written. Thank for sharing m.

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

My friend Ganesha: Friendship with God