Melody: Word Prompt


Melody was the word given as the word prompt by my writing group. For some reason, I was reminded of a theatre that I had often visited in the 90s. 

It was the year 1993 around the onset of Diwali. Usually around that time, the Hindi film industry releases a blockbuster.  I had accompanied my mom and her friends to the movie hall. It was rather cold with the air conditioning on full blast. The smell of popcorn filled the air and cups of Pepsi were stacked along the seats. We were seated in the balcony and had a good view of the screen. 

It was my first time in that particular movie hall which was usually crowded. It was almost next to impossible to secure tickets for a new release. I sat there watching the screen. The hero was good looking in an unconventional way. With his unruly locks, he possessed a certain boyish charm and an intense look in his eyes.  While both the heroines had a certain spunk to them. I stifled a yawn thinking it was going to be another one of those love triangle stories. 

After a while, a gasp went around the audience and the silence in the theatre was deafening. I blinked my eyes in disbelief at the scene. Did the hero really push the heroine from the terrace?  My eyes were glued to the screen until the entire mystery was unraveled. I shook my head  as that scene from the movie kept playing in my mind. The theatre’s sound effects reverberated in my ears. When I went out after the movie had ended, I looked up at the name of the theatre. It was called Melody theatre.

This was only the beginning. As the years elapsed, I continued to watch several other blockbusters in this theatre.  Unfortunately this movie hall shut down on a permanent basis in 2014. Yet the memories at this theatre still remains etched in my mind. 
-- 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

My friend Ganesha: Friendship with God