Nirbhaya







It was on a cold December morning that I woke up to this horrifying news-a 23 year old girl was gang raped by 6 beasts on a bus and murdered in New Delhi. 

Yes I term them as beasts and savage ones that too as they do not deserve the status of being addressed as men. 

It shook the nation and I recollect how there were several protests made demanding justice for her. My heart went out to her parents. What must have they gone through? Losing an offspring is heartbreaking and losing them in this manner must have been even more devastating. 

Her parents have been on this non stop pursuit for justice for years. After 7 years and 3 months, justice finally prevailed. The 4 men have been convicted this morning.  One committed suicide in 2013 while the one considered 'juvenile' was set free after serving a 3 year sentence. Old enough to rape a woman but too young to be sentenced? Strange are the ways of the law. Hopefully the law of Karma catches up with him. 

While I did heave a sigh of relief when I read the news, there is still an unsettling feeling lingering inside me. 

 Why are criminals not punished on time? Why does it take years? And have the rapes declined? No. 

Every time I hear of a rape case, I wonder if its a crime to be born a woman?

While Justice was delayed in this case, I am glad it wasn't denied. Just wish it had come sooner. May Nirbhaya's soul rest in peace. 






Comments

KParthasarathi said…


It is a good riddance though justice has been delayed by convicts exploiting every loophole in the legal system.I hope the authorities would plug them to ensure speedy justice in future.For the brutal way they killed the young woman besides gang raping her ,death sentence alone does not seem adequate though the existing law may not permit public lashings in addition.
Whirlwind said…
True KP. I was discussing with someone about how death ends all the pain. I feel that the perpetuator must be tortured both physically and psychologically for such a barbaric crime. The Judiciary system should also speed up.

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

My friend Ganesha: Friendship with God