Global running day and world cycling day.

 




It was interesting how two days dedicated to my favorite sports came one after the other this week. First it was global running day and then world cycling day.

As a triathlete, both these disciplines are a vital part of my training. But running holds a special place in my heart as I was a runner first before I ventured into triathlons. Its almost been a decade and I still remember how running change my life. In fact I'd say it was my savior. It gave me a boost in my morale when I was probably feeling the lowest. 

I had endured a ten day hospitalization, a serious illness which forcibly altered my lifestyle. I had quit my job as a counselor. In short, there were too many changes that overwhelmed me. I didn't feel like socializing with people as the conversations usually ended up with my illness, unsolicited advice which I completely loathe and not taking the hint when I tried to change the conversation. I had lost a lot of blood at that time and I had to rebuild my strength. I decided to focus on the latter and my diet. It was around the same time when I began to write a lot more and found a job with a business website later that year. Since I couldn't lift heavy weights like I used to, I decided to focus on running. And thats how the incentive to run a half marathon came about. From a late night person who'd party every other weekend, I became an early riser. From sun downers, I was beginning to enjoy sunrise a lot more. After my first half marathon, there was no looking back. Something changed in me after I crossed the finish line. I felt a sense of worth, gained a new found purpose and strength. 

Running became a vital part of my life even during my pregnancy in 2013-2014. I ran a 10 k race 2 months after my pregnancy in June 2014 and it continues to be a part of my life even today. I signed up for a half marathon race scheduled in November on Global running day this year. 



My journey with serious cycling began in 2017 when I had dreams to do a triathlon. Plus it became my mode of transport when I initially came to California few years ago. It was fun exploring Stanford campus and the highways on two wheels. I have had a major fall from my bike a few days before my first olympic distance triathlon event-scars which are still visible on my right knee. But nevertheless I have had some memorable moments on my bike-It has taken me through 8 olympic distance triathlons and 2 half ironman races. I still continue to train on it today while I am gearing up for another triathlon race. I am always struck by the analogy of maintaining a balance on a bike to life. Just like its important to have that balance on those wheels to ensure a smooth ride, its important to have the right balance in life-to ensure that joyful ride. 


Sometimes I do bike ride followed by a run-the famous brick workout for triathletes. The run is the hardest part in a triathlon as after a bike ride, your legs tend to feel like bricks-wobbly and shaky. The run is more of a mental game than a physical one. At races I always think off one quote that keeps me going-if you cannot run with your legs, run with your heart. So far its kept me going. Both these sports are close to my heart and I really hope to finish strong in my upcoming event in a couple of months. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

My friend Ganesha: Friendship with God