The Scent of Nature: A runner/triathlete's therapy

It was just another Sunday. Last year around this time, I had run a half marathon at San Francisco. That was how I usually spent my weekends. Running on trails or cities or doing a triathlon. 2020 was different. It was dull and devoid of the excitement that 2019 had offered. The unseen enemy had claimed lives and the future looked bleak. I was told that there was more to life than running or triathlons. I agreed. I decided to use this time to pursue other hobbies and professional dreams. A large chunk of my time was spent in interviewing authors, reading, writing and editing, filling up applications. The efforts bore fruit. Books were getting published and I had secured admission into a coveted writing program at the University of San Francisco. 




Yet this uncertainty with regards to life returning back to normal exasperated me. One question kept haunting me constantly-Will the world ever be free from this deadly Corona Virus? For some reason, I couldn’t get myself to embrace this new normal where gyms and parlors were shut, running or triathlon events were banned, classes were online and meetings were virtual. Staring at the laptop screen hurt my eyes and resulted in headaches. It eventually resulted in bouts of irritability. That’s when I decided to take up an activity that I otherwise could never spare time for, in the flurry of seeking that adrenalin rush. 

I usually indulged in Trail running especially during the off-season. Time spent amidst nature was a stressbuster. Deciding to take this as an off season and an occasion to spend more time with the family, I resorted to hiking. It was an activity enjoyed by my husband and daughter.  Besides it was a great opportunity to explore the hidden jewels of California. 




Armed with our bag packs, masks (another indicator of the new normal), and water, we reached Ed Levin county Park in twenty minutes. Spread over acres, the landscapes showcased contours of green, brown and yellow. The dried tufts of tall grass swayed gently in the summer breeze. We looked around taking in the different routes and finally decided to explore the one next to the lake. Silence descended upon us like an invisible cloak as we walked on the trail. 




The sound of chirping birds and insects filled the air. The rustle of leaves had me startled and turn my head towards the direction of the sound. It was only after seeing a bird or a squirrel, would my shoulders relax. The nervous feeling of running into a rattle snake or a mountain lion often taunted me. A gentle reminder from the corner of my mind reiterated the fact that  I was in the abode of these creatures who were a vital part of the ecosystem as well. I paused and looked at the magnificent lake. The triathlete in me longed for a swim in open water. I dispelled those thoughts and reprimanded myself sternly. The lake was clear enough to showcase the reflections of the tall pine trees that surrounded it. 



What a contrast to my restless mind! I continued my walk along the lake while my husband and daughter stopped to admire a bird. It was a Grey Heron. Just then. the wind blew and the water created ripples. The bird stood unfazed by nature’s changing stance. It appeared wise, mature and calm. Just the sight of it soothed my nerves while I continued gazing at it in awe. The bird didn’t seem to mind my child like curiosity. 



Walking a little ahead, I spotted a family of ducks swimming together. The Mama duck’s watchful eye on her young ones was a fascinating sight. 




It was a gentle reminder of how family always stayed by your side during tough times, just like mine did during this torrid phase. The trails were rusty and the runner in me imagined running on them. Just then I spotted a butterfly perched on a leaf. 



I wondered if I would have had the time to observe and admire my surroundings as much as I did now. There was no pressure of having to reach the finish line within a certain time limit. I could stand and stare at nature’s splendors for hours together without worrying about my Garmin beeping. Perhaps this was all for a good. It was nature’s way of telling me that my body needed to recover from all those vigorous Ironman 70.3 training that I undergone continuously in California since 2017. 




By the time, things get back to normal, I would probably get swept into the rigmarole of the training regime. There certainly won’t be any time to stop and stare at those fine trunks, long grass, sprouting yellow flowers, birds and beasts in their natural abode. When the hike ended, I turned back and looked at the bushy world of creepers, branches, water bodies and flora and fauna. Those turbulent bouts had dissipated and I was left with a smile. Nature’s magical touch did heal the mind of a runner/triathlete. 

I wasn't sure how long it would last. Yet I knew I could come back anytime and nature would embrace me once again in an unflinching manner. With its scents and soothing sounds, it would send me back home with that cheerful smile. 


Comments

siji thomas said…
Loved it !! Younare such a positive person and your writing reflects it all . It always litnthe mood of a reader ! Keep writing. All the best ,!

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

My friend Ganesha: Friendship with God