Treading on trails: The cumulative 45 km run experience

Waking up to your period is not exactly a great start to a Saturday morning. This is especially when you have a running event to go to. Nevertheless, I did go and had decided to take the run easy. It was a distance of 15 km. 




15 km on a trail: The run was scheduled at Baylands, Palo Alto. Since it had rained the previous day, the roads were damp and some parts were covered with puddles. It’s always a treat to run on an unexplored terrain. The beauty part of running is that it enables you to explore some new routes and trails. Being a nature lover, it was blissful to run on dirt roads surrounded by water on both sides. Watching the ducks swim deftly, I too found my strides going smooth. The run turned out to be better than I had expected despite the fact I was fighting menstrual cramps. It was a strong 15 km. I’ve had stronger runs before but today wasn’t a day to complain.



I was training for a full marathon and I had to get my muscles to endure longer running distances. Unlike in an Ironman race, where different muscles are activated, running puts a lot of stress on the same muscle which can result in an injury if one is not careful. Does it mean triathlon is easier? No way. It’s just that my body is more used to training for a tri. Switching from one sport to another always takes time and I realized patience is the key. 

I decided to use this mantra for the Sunday run where I was supposed to run 30 km on a trail. This was in a place called Quarry Lakes situated in Fremont which was about 30 minutes from my place. Now running on a trail is mainly a test of your mental abilities. Unlike a city run, you don’t always have crowd support. There are times when you are all by yourself surrounded with nothing but trees, shrubs and lakes. It takes every ounce of grit to tell yourself to keep going, no matter what. Eventually its these runs that make you tougher. 

Race morning: So, I landed on race morning, collected my bib and walked around the area, clicking pics of the scenic views. The run began at 9 am. It was a sunny day and as usual I was dressed like an eskimo, wearing full sleeves and full-length track pants. 



There were a lot of stones on the trail so I ensured that I did not increase my pace. I ran slowly and it reminded me of my maffetone training days back in India. For four months, I just clocked mileages based on my heart rate. It was essential to do so as it was not advisable to keep doing speed intervals and tempo runs throughout the year. Being a person who wasn’t particularly fond of speed, I enjoyed running at a steady pace. It’s a different matter that my thoughts keep whirling inside my head like a tornado. Probably that’s why I sought to attain a balance with regards to my physical training. 

The trail run: The views of the lake and the greenery were a treat to the eyes. Running along water has a calming effect on my mind. It was a 13.1-mile trail (21 km). Those who were doing the 30-km had to complete this 13-mile loop and then run the 10-km distance. The first 10 miles were over before I could blink my eye. Soaking in the beauty of the trail and replenishing myself at the aid stations every 2 miles, I survived both the tough terrain and the heat.  I also ensured that I kept those menstrual cramps at bay with sufficient hydration. 




I watched the rest of the runners. Some of them were running the full marathon distance which made me admire their tenacity. Just then I felt something poking me inside the shoe. I stopped and removed the small stones that somehow found their way inside. I went back to my strides and stopped at another station. An Indian man wearing a white t shirt was gulping down water. He reminded me of one of the runners from my Mumbai road runners community. We exchanged smiles and I ran ahead. Before I realized, I had finished the 21km loop and was on my way to finish another 10 km. 



“Turn around and follow the route that you had taken,” a volunteer said as he slipped a yellow color band on my wrist. It was to showcase that I had completed the 13-mile loop. I went ahead and for some reason ended up taking a wrong turn. I realized I was all by myself and immediately turned until I spotted some runners. “Which way for the 30 km?” I asked. 

“That way. Just follow the signs,” he said. I looked out for boards that said Sunday marathon and arrow marks. I kicked myself for missing it and wasting time. I went ahead and continued running. I spotted a few runners who had pulled their hamstring and stopped to ask if they were fine. They nodded and I continued. That was the power of a trail. It could injure even the strongest runners. That’s how running amidst nature humbles you. 

I paused to reflect how I felt. Yes, I was tired. I’d be lying if I said I felt like a bundle of energy. However, I was still in one piece and hadn’t cramped or injured myself. Injury free running is what I was focusing on at this moment. Pace and time didn’t matter. 

After the turnaround point, I made my way to embrace the finish line. By now it was noon and the sun was up. I was glad to bask in the sunshine. I’d take the heat any day over the winter chill that often leaves me feeling low. Meeting a few fellow runners on the way, I waved and gave them thumbs up sign. The last stretch to the finish line was on an incline. I gathered all my reserves and made an attempt to sprint on those uneven pebble laden dirt road. Like a person possessed I crossed the finish line and plonked on the grass. 




The Christmas gift: “Strong finish,” my husband remarked as he patted my head. I dragged myself to the refreshment area where I tucked in some water melons and oranges. I sat there and rested for a while. In the meantime, they had called out my name for coming 3rdoverall in the female category for the 30-km run. I was first in my age category. Collecting my medals in disbelief, I headed back to the car with my husband and daughter in tow. 



Yes, I was still in one piece. I could walk without limping. It was the flu season in California so I hoped and prayed that I wouldn't come down with a viral. It was for the first time that I did a 30 km run after doing a 15 km run the previous day. Something that I had never done even when I was at my peak running form in India. So I am thankful. 

Being an outdoor person, I enjoyed running on trails and being amidst nature And I hoped to run on more such trails before the triathlon season begins. This particular run was an easy paced albeit a strong run.  So the podium was an unexpected surprise. It was just 10 days to Christmas and I couldn’t help thinking that Santa Claus had already given me my gift. 

Comments

kranti said…
Superb description of your experience...felt as if I ran along with you..hearty congratulations for winning!
Whirlwind said…
Thanks Kranti :)

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

The Call of the Wild : Movie review