Run in Wonderland : The Halloween 10 km run experience

                                               
Runners are known to be a crazy lot! What with waking up at an unearthly hour to clock those humongous distances, run on grueling terrains and battle tough weather conditions. Yes, no normal person would do that. I guess it’s this ‘abnormality’ that sets us apart from the rest. 

A fact that was reiterated when runners decided to celebrate Halloween in their fashion-wearing crazy costumes and running on the roads. My community back in Mumbai was celebrating their monthly Halloween run and I was incidentally doing the same thing here in California. 







It’s a mad world: The characters in Alice adventures in wonderland had always caught my fancy. They were eccentric and as crazy as they could get. Probably that’s what emphasizes the phrase by the Cheshire cat “We are all mad in here.” Cheshire cat happens to be my favorite character from this classic. With its ability to disappear and appear at its will, its queer responses and its toothy grin, I decided to adorn the costume of this peculiar character this year. 

 I set off on race morning wearing a pink and purple dress with stockings and a matching wig that tumbled around my shoulders. The hood of the dress had cat ears. The uber driver looked at me calmly as though he was used to giving rides to crazy people in costumes on an everyday basis. I reached Hellyer county park in 15 minutes.




The park was swarmed with people in costumes. The ones running the half marathon and marathon distance wore their usual running attire. Those running the 10 km and 5 km were dressed up as the skunk’s family, a cat, Starbucks coffee, butterflies and superheroes. It made a pretty picture against the lush green lawns. There was nip in the cool autumn air and I was glad that my furry dress kept me warm.  After collecting my bib, I headed straight to the start area.  

Down the rabbit hole:At 9:15 am, the race began. It was a mile run around the lake after which the route led to a trail.  This particular course made me actually feel that I had fallen down the rabbit’s hole. Yellow leaves were strewn along the path depicting the season of fall. The trees and shrubs seemed to change color. Hearing little sounds from the bushes made me feel that there were queer creatures hidden behind these contours of green. 



Now it wasn’t easy running in a costume. Especially when the weather was tilting towards the warmer side. California weather was unpredictable. One minute you are freezing and the next minute, it appears as though someone switched on the microwave. Reminded me of how Alice grew bigger and smaller in a jiffy. 



It felt great to be cheered by some of the volunteers on the course. I almost felt like royalty and certainly not the Queen of hearts. An incline greeted me at midpoint and the trails curved upwards leading me to a desolated area. 

At one point, it was just me surrounded by greenery and a little stream to my left. After making a turn at the turnaround point, I kept running ahead listening to the gurgling sound of water. 

Just then I met another runner huffing and puffing her way up the inclines. 

“Which way do we go?” she asked.

I almost replied like the character of Cheshire cat and said, “It depends on where you want to go?”

Better sensed prevailed when I realized my true identity and pointed towards the big blue cone. 

I crossed the aid station again. It looked like a tea party with the lavish spread of nuts, cookies, fruits and pretzels. I found myself looking for the March hare and the Mad hatter. However, all I found was a group of cheerful volunteers. Taking a sip of water, I thanked them and continued running ahead.

 Along the course I met runners who shouted, “Love your costume.”



I grinned and continued going, fighting the fierce California sun. I found myself near the lake and rushed towards the finish line, eager to finish the run. Grabbing the bat shaped medal, I joined my hubby and daughter who were waiting for me near the refreshments area.  

Basking in the spirit of Halloween: The organizers asked all the participants dressed in a costume to assemble near the holding area.  All of us won a little gift for running in a costume as it was no easy feat. Even it was just a measly distance of 10 km.  I clutched my medal and the coffee mug that read Zombie Runner coffee. 




The Halloween spirit lingered on for the rest of the day. This 10-km run truly felt like a run-in wonderland. People may call me crazy but like the Cheshire cat says “I am not crazy. My reality is just different from yours.” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

The Call of the Wild : Movie review