Up'root'ting mankind in the long run:Save Aarey forest




There was once a time when I stood tall and proud, sheltering those who would stop beside me to catch their breath.  They would wipe their beads of perspiration emanating from the summer heat. The sun's rays would penetrate fiercely from the sky while I’d fight and shield them with equal veracity to protect my precious mankind kin. 

I'd withstand the harsh tumultuous climatic conditions and protect my precious human clan from the heat or rains.  There were times when I was considered man’s best friend. At least I thought that was the case. I recollect how I was lovingly tended to and cared for by some of them. They’d nurture me with water and nutrients that made me so alive and indebted to them enough to protect them. 

My other counterparts and I together built a chain of homes for other species as well. Right from birds, bees to deers, squirrels and the big cats, we had room for every living being. Such was the generosity of my heart. I was considered the lung of the Mumbai city. 

I was living in a bubble until one fine day I saw man coming with some complicated machinery. I was appalled to see that that ‘gigantic machine’ was shelling down some of my family chain.. I whispered to my counterparts, perplexed on what was going on. In our tree language I was communicated the horrifying news- man was getting rid of us for better prospects. My heart bled as I realized I was betrayed by a species whom I considered my friend. 

Are these the same humans that sought refuge in me like a little child during dire straits?  The same  folks who once nurtured me? It couldn’t be true. Yet the reality was right in front of my eyes. In the lure for better prospects, man was replacing me with stones and cement. 

I have protected them for years. What would they do without me? Don’t they realize they are bringing their own downfall? What would happen to the several homes of the birds and beasts? Where would they go? Doesn’t every being deserve a place in the world? Whatever happened to the concept of delicate balance and the circle of life? 

Oh my foolish child, do not commit this folly! What may seem alluring now will slowly lead to your ashes and dust.  I beg you to reconsider your decision, as I see what you cannot see. You are slowly inviting the destruction of mankind with this rash folly of eliminating my family of trees and forests.

I have protected you so far and I promise to protect the future generations as well. 

Yours lovingly
Tree of Aarey forest


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

The Call of the Wild : Movie review