The Friendship day bridge run: The Golden gate 10 km experience

I never miss an opportunity to run in San Francisco. Especially when the course is marked around the Golden gate bridge. There is something about the golden gate bridge that entices me every time I run past it or on it. Probably it is the engineering marvel that has helped it withstand nature’s fury numerous times.  Each time I see the bridge, it’s like seeing an old friend who gently reminds me of my ability to weather any storm that comes my way. 

When the opportunity presented itself in a form of a 10-km run on the first Sunday of August to see my 'golden' friend, I was only happy to do so. Incidentally it was friendship day and I couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate than run with Amit-my life partner cum best friend. This was also a run which I was planning to dedicate to all my friends around the globe. Especially in India where a few cities have been hit by torrential rains. 




I was a little tired that Sunday morning when we drove to SFO. The previous day had been hectic as I had attended a swim clinic in Oakland. We did a course preview of the swim, bike and run section. It turned out to be a mock triathlon in a way. By the time I got back home it was around 3 pm. With no time to recover, I decided to take the run easy the next day. 

Crissy field looked beautiful that morning. The sheet of green sparkled in the morning glory while the mist engulfed it from all sides. Runners with different colored attire added charm to the lawns, engaging in a friendly banter. At a distance, I spotted a flock of ducks hustled together and picking something from the grass. 

I met the organizers-Bob Anderson (founder of the runner’s world magazine) and his lovely wife Catherine, whom I was familiar with from my earlier meetings and having participated in their several races. Greeting them cheerfully, Amit and I made our way to the start line. 



The run began sharp at 8. 70 percent of the course was on a trail around Crissy field. Amit as usual darted off which inspired me to push my pace as well. I was going strong until the 3-km mark when I suddenly felt dizzy. Warning bells rang in my head stating that I had to slow down. It is said that you should always listen to your body. And I did by immediately taking a 10 second walk break and sipping some Gatorade. The instant spike in the energy levels made me resume my run albeit at an easy pace. 

I passed the boats in the dockyard. At a distance, I spotted Fort Mason where I had come to pick up my bib for the San Francisco half marathon last week. The water was calm and still. Just the mere sight of it eased my nerves as my body set into an easy rhythm. It wasn’t advisable to sprint on a trail anyway. 



The mountains at a distance were only partially visible due to the fog.  With lush greenery on one side and water on the other, it felt like running inside a picturesque postcard that I often saw at the souvenir stores. I crossed a small bridge and continued running until I had to take a turn near the Golden Gate bridge. I looked up hoping to see the  bridge in its glorious splendor. It seemed moody that day, choosing to hide behind that tiresome mist, depriving runners of that photo opportunity.  I spotted several runners stopping at that point and taking out their phones, only to feel dejected. The mist was clearly playing spoilsport. 

I turned and continued running along the fields. I was feeling strong at the 8thkm mark and decided to push a little. I waved at the volunteers and made another turn towards the trail. At that moment, a little stone got into my shoe making me pause for a second to roll it out. I continued running and overtook a few runners. Pushing in the last 1 km, I finally embraced the finish line in 60 minutes.  Not bad for a run on tired legs, I thought, considering my personal best was 55-56 minutes. 

I plonked myself on the grass beside Amit, almost forgetting to collect my medal. After a gentle reminder from fellow runners nearby, I got up and collected mine from a cheerful volunteer. It was a beautiful one with the Golden gate bridge carved on it. It was the first time that day I could get a clear image of the bridge. 




Thanking Bob and collecting my refreshments, Amit and I reached home by noon.  




SFO beckoned us that evening as we were booked for a cruise. We sailed past both the Golden Gate bridge and the Bay bridge this time. I did manage to get a glimpse of it after all.  I later updated my status on the run on Facebook and dedicated it to all my friends around the world. I couldn’t help noticing that social media was a bridge in a way, enabling me to stay connected with people across the globe. 





Comments

kranti said…
Superb experience as a runner cum triathlete! Can't wait to run on the Golden Gate bridge!

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

The Call of the Wild : Movie review