Parle G: A walk down memory lane


The evening started on a nice note when my hubby Amit said that he had a surprise for me. When he handed over his large packet of parle G biscuit packet that he purchased from an Indian grocery store in California, I was pleasantly surprised. 

It was just the previous day when we were discussing the sad plight of the company which was laying off employees. Holding this packet of biscuit in my hands, made me walk down memory lane. 

My first impression of the parle g biscuit was the face of the little girl on the packet cover. Something about her sweet expression caught my fancy when I was a little girl, so much that it became a favorite ever since. Parle G was my comfort food after Maggi perhaps. These crunchy bites became my  snack in between meals much to the chagrin of my mom. Sometimes they would become a meal by themselves if my mom's dishes turned out to be my least favorite that particular day. 

Midnight oil was burnt accompanied with Parle G biscuits dipped hot piping cup of ginger tea.  Preparations for exams became easier with Parle G for company. The shelves would be deprived of snack whenever I was struck by those hunger pangs. Invariably I'd stumble upon a packet of biscuits with that face of the little girl. Parle G did come to my rescue many a time.

 Life does come a full circle when I saw my daughter lured by these biscuits as well. Right from the age of 2, these biscuits caught her fancy and became her go to food. Being the picky eater that she is, there were days spent in exasperation and anxiety coaxing her to eat a meal. She would shake her stubborn little head with a emphatic no when offered any kind of food. Yet her expression would soften when handed over these biscuits. Such was the power of Parle G-to lure generations and to come to my rescue yet again. 

As I took a bite of this crunchy biscuit this evening, I observed that instead of the good old ginger tea, I now held a mug of green tea. Things have certainly changed as the saying emphasizes that its inevitable. 

The future remains uncertain but one thing that will never change is the memory of the lingering taste of this biscuit dipped in a cup of ginger tea!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

The Call of the Wild : Movie review