Home Sweet Home

-By Swetha Amit
Often I found myself wondering what a real home would feel like. I often encountered fatigue as I roamed about aimlessly on the crowded streets of the busy city. My mother’s face felt like a distant image making me ruminate whether it had all existed in reality. I was mercilessly estranged from her for no fault of mine and immersed in solitude.

Homeless, helpless and hungry I prayed earnestly hoping that my begging eyes would touch a kind soul to spare me a few crumbs. However all I encountered were a few grumpy shopkeepers who found me to be nothing but a nuisance. It was those big bins; I recall which provided a scarce meal of remains thrown in by the neighborhood folks. Nights were spent in lonely barns, with the hoot of a hunting owl startling me out of my wits. I missed the cozy warmth especially when the fleeting winds pounded furiously in an eerie manner.

I strolled on the pavements where many a time I would be attacked by ruthless hounds. It was a narrow escape that followed many a time as I quickly climbed trees to save my skin. I used to look down fearfully at those ferocious blood shot eyes which were rearing to get their teeth into my flesh and bones. Sobbing profusely and loudly I would tend to puzzle the birds and squirrels looking at this ‘strange’ little thing perched up in terror. Every step spelt uncertainty and fear as a question haunted me throughout” Why did my mother leave me?” “Was she alive or no more?” Evenings were spent in looking at those well lit houses where the aroma of delicious supper reached my nostrils yearning for a good meal. Sadly I would walk away with nothing in return to my usual haunt of the garbage remains.

It was one fine day when my prayers appeared to have been answered. Yet not without a grueling start almost making me lose my life. I suddenly found myself chased by a mongrel which attacked me furiously. With continuous bleeding caused by the canine teeth, my eyes dimmed gradually making me feel faint and the last thing I heard was a lady hollering. As I opened my eyes I found myself in a plush marble floor mansion with a primly dressed maid walking about in a hurry. “Oh you are alright. What a relief”. I turned to see a tall stern faced lady walk in gracefully perching herself on the rocking chair. “I must apologize for Roger’s behaviour today. You appear lost and hungry. Why don’t I ask Martha to serve you some supper? You can stay with us of course and probably give a chance to get on with Roger.”

I looked at her gratefully out of my green eyes as I lapped up the bread and milk hungrily. Finally I sighed happily on finding a home. Days flew by. It was true that I couldn’t have asked for more of comforts and meals served on time. Yet the missing ingredient was often felt making me feel like I was feasting on an apple pie without the flavor of apple in it. The mistress would often disappear on her social endeavors with Roger being her loyal accomplice. I would always be left staring at cold walls and designer furniture with Martha on her house keeping rounds. I longed for an affectionate hug or a word neither of which I received. Warmth was restricted to the food alone as the lack of it otherwise sunk me into a pool of misery again. Things worsened one day as I proved to be a victim of Rogers’s incorrigible behaviour and was dismayed on seeing it justified by the mistress. Unable to bear it any longer, I escaped into the cold night yet again finding myself in an even more apathetic situation.

It was back to those repulsive dust bags after being used to luxurious canned food. The heat of the summer drained me as the rays pierced in a sadistic manner on my weary physique. I seated myself under a shade in a park watching a few boys play with marbles. All on a sudden I was spotted by a few rogues and pelting stones began to come my way. I yelped in horror trying to dodge the hard pebbles that were furiously raining on me along with squeals of laughter.

“Stop it right now else you go to prison. Don’t you realize that this is an offense?” boomed a voice of a tall man clad in a uniform. The miscreants scuttled away like frightened mice as he came towards me with a kind smile. “Oh you poor thing, I hope they didn’t hurt you too much. Come here Janet. This might be what you were looking for.”

I turned to see a young girl screaming in delight as she saw me. “Let’s take him home father” she said as the man heartily agreed. I entered my new home which was a compact residence with friendlier faces. The family of four patted me and stroked me with affection that I had missed all these months. Exhausted with my numerous escapades, I fell into a deep slumber with dreams of being chased furiously. I woke up with a start to find myself on the warm couch with a bowl of milk waiting. I lapped it up in elation realizing that I had finally reached home sweet home.

It was a stark difference from the term ‘house’ which consisted nothing but furnishing and expensive laid stones. It was time to bid goodbye to nightmares and pray with gratitude to the almighty for a wonderful family. One who would shower all their love on this poor golden brown cat with soulful eyes-me.

Written for http://www.msn.co.in/

Comments

Ayesha Parveen said…
Beautifully written. It is true that our pets give us much love if we are only genuinely kind to them. Best wishes.
Whirlwind said…
Thats true. Thanks a lot Ayesha.:-)
Whirlwind said…
Comments on MSN:
Venkat - Dar on 2/19/2009 3:39:20 PM
Too good Swetha!
KParthasarathi said…
It is a very moving narration of a cat's longing for love and home as only Swetha can do in her inimitable style.Great story
Whirlwind said…
Thanks a lot KP.:-)

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

The Call of the Wild : Movie review