Shershaah : Movie review


It was after a long time that a movie has piqued my interest. Some of the recent ones have been disappointing and made me give up half way. War movies are usually a hit or miss. So it was refreshing to see Shershaah falling under the category of the top five films of 2021. In fact, in my opinion its probably the best I've seen so far. Unless some other movie manages to create a similar effect by end of the year. 

Shershah traces the life of Indian army Captain Vikram Batra who was awarded the Param Air Chakra for his valor displayed during the 1999 Kargil War. It was one of the toughest wars considering how the enemy was at an advantageous position, not to mention at dizzying heights. We get a peek into his life-born to parents who are teachers, falling in love with a Sikh girl, his earnestness to join the army, tackling several missions and his promotion in the middle of the war. The war sequences are well directed and the film boasts of some good performances. 

Actor Siddharth Malhotra lives up to his role as Captain Vikram Batra. I'd say he was absolutely brilliant. The first time I'd seen him in Student of the Year, I found him to be extremely good-looking. And yet I felt there was more to him than just his handsome face. He had that intensity in his eyes and a sort of quiet demeanor. He'd certainly had potential. With the right roles, he would shine on screen. And thats what happened with Shershaah. Kiara Advani was pleasing to watch as well.She slips into her role of the spunky sardarni well. There is a certain earnestness in her performances from what I've seen so far. 

The tone of patriotism rings throughout the movie. Watching Shershaah evoked myriad emotions. I felt a sense of pride and gratitude for our armed forces. The sacrifices they make, the selflessness they display and the manner in which they guard our borders night and day. Its because of them we get our night's sleep. Shershaah is a portrayal of all these factors. What made it special was watching such a movie on the eve of our 75th Independence Day. Seeing the Tri color flag flying high on top pf the mountain induced goosebumps. 

Sitting seven oceans across, I watched in pride being the true Indian that I am. Its been 22 years since the Kargil War and yet even today it does not fail to evoke tears in my eyes. Jai hind!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

My friend Ganesha: Friendship with God