Reliving Tom and Jerry

 



During my childhood, I'd have a rough day at school where my grades wouldn't be up to the mark or I would have gotten a math problem wrong. Being this studious nerd, all it would take was a bad grade to upset me. At that time, I'd resort to two things-ice cream or watching Tom and Jerry cartoon. The cat and mouse battle and their antics had always managed to cheer me up. 

Several years later in 2021, I had a grueling week at University. I am at the brink of 40, juggling multiple things like my workouts, domestic chores, a full time Masters program at University that includes, seminars, workshops, interviews for the newsletter, reading and writing. But it wasn't a bad grade this time. Since I was studying Gender and trauma this semester, it tends to get exhausting mentally. All I wanted to do over the weekend was to unwind by watching something that induces a feel good factor.  

It was a blessing in disguise to see the Tom and Jerry movie being aired on HBO. Curling up with my family on the couch, I looked forward to revisiting those childhood days. The only thing missing was an ice-cream bowl since I was off sugar and diary. And the movie sure did evoke laughs. 

Jerry moves into one of the finest hotels in New York on the eve of a high profile wedding. Tom is hired by the event manager where she categorically states, "You are a Cat. Its in your DNA to catch a mouse." It isn't easy to catch Jerry, as we have seen in those cartoons. The Cat and mouse game begins and creates a mayhem, almost cancelling the wedding. In the background, we see the dynamics of the bride and the groom and the latter's obsession with the wedding planning to make it a memorable one. 

The Tom and Jerry chemistry created magic and the fatigue of the week melted away. For a moment, I was back to that nine year old, smiling and laughing till my sides ached. While I am a Cat lover and absolutely detest mice or rodents, I found myself rooting for Jerry. His sharp abilities to outwit Tom never fails to elicit a smile on your face. The sight of Tom after he is made to look like a fool is hilarious. 

Time has elapsed and so much has changed over the years. I was glad to see that my love for some of those childhood cartoons hadn't. Watching it with my daughter made it even more memorable. This cat and mouse has captured the hearts of generations and this isn't something that one would outgrow easily. Laughter is definitely the best medicine. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

My friend Ganesha: Friendship with God