Dark: Word prompt


Wrote this based on a word prompt.


It was in the wee hours of the morning when I set off for a run at San Francisco. The drive to the city took about 45-50 minutes from my place in the morning. Since the run was scheduled at 7 am I left my place at around 5:45 am. It was still dark outside as I got out of my apartment which was surrounded by numerous bushes and shrubs. 

I walked out of my patio and shut the gate behind me. Just then I heard a rustling sound. I froze. 

My mind immediately traced back to all those horror movies that I had watched in the past. As soon as I stopped, the sound stopped as well. Beads of sweat trickled down my forehead despite being a cold October morning. I flashed my mobile light but couldn't see a thing. I continued walking and immediately heard that rustling sound again. A Sudden gust of breeze blew and I shivered. Just then I heard a small wail. I looked around nervously and to my horror I spotted a pair of green eyes gleaming at me in the dark. 

 Before I could react, that thing came rushing out from the bushes. I was about to let out a bloodcurdling scream when I saw the creature. It was a black cat with a bushy tail-one that I had often seen roaming around our apartment complex. It brushed past my leg haughtily and went ahead. 

Just then my mobile beeped making me jump. It was a message from the uber driver saying that he had arrived. I gladly rushed down the stairs and saw a white car coming inside the apartment complex. 

He greeted me cheerfully and noticed my pale face. "All ok?" he asked. 
"A black cat scared me," I muttered.
"Well it is the month of Halloween. Strange things are bound to happen," he chuckled.

I shrugged and buckled the seat belt. As the car made its way out of the complex, I looked out of the window. It was still pitch dark. Amidst the darkness I could still see a glowing pair of green eyes following the car...
-- 

Comments

KParthasarathi said…
The initial portion scared me a bit.I thought it was a snake.
Beautifully written.
Whirlwind said…
Thanks KP.:)

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

The Call of the Wild : Movie review