To Sur with love-The big sur marathon experience

When I woke up at 3:15 am on the day of the Big Sur race, my part of the world was still and dark. On another side of the world, London city was bustling with energy with the London marathon where Eluid Kipchoge was competing. While getting ready for my race, I was simultaneously tracking the elites. I drove down to the Marriot from where I was supposed to board the shuttle bus that would take the 21 miler participants to the start point at St Andrew park. 

Before boarding the bus, I saw that Kipchoge had won the London marathon and clocked a terrific timing of 2:02:37. What a performance, I thought, my energy levels instantly spiking up as it always does when I watch sports or my favorite athlete winning. The 45-minute bus ride wasn’t so tiring as I engaged with a fellow runner seated next to me. When we reached the starting point at 5:30 am, I still had an hour to go before my race began at 6:30 am. It was cold and runners were huddled together on the ground. Some were sipping coffee to get warm while others were doing yoga at the session organized by the race directors. Chants of ‘Om Namah Shiva’filled the air which created a positive vibe around, melting away the tiny bouts of race anxiety. 

One hour elapsed quickly and it was time for the race. I had studied the course thoroughly. It was the same as the full marathon (26 miler) with 2100 feet elevation gain. The only difference being that the 21 miler participants would be starting from the 5thmile which was the 8thkm mark. It was an uphill start for us. The Big Sur International marathon had random drawings like the world majors. For those whose names were not picked in the lots had the option of doing the 21 miler which was approximately 34.2 km. 

The weather was beautiful when I started running. It was an uphill right from the start and I began to enjoy the hues of green and blue. With spectacular views of the ocean to my left and the lush green mountains to my right, I was truly in a runner’s paradise. I noticed other runners increasing their pace and running past me while I maintained a steady pace, conserving my energy for some monstrous climbs that lay ahead in this course. 



The race organizers strictly banned headphones however they made up for it by appointing musicians at different points. There were guitarists, piano players, drummers and an entire choir that lifted our spirits. Between the 10th and 12thmile was the intimidating hurricane point. It was a continuous 3 km climb with a steep gradient. The drummers were placed at the start of this steep gradient and drummed furiously. It reminded me of a war cry before going to the battle field. Indeed, this part was a war where one had to battle their inner demons that would ask you to quit the race. A strategic walk run method helped me surpass the hurricane point and with a triumphant feeling, I glided downhill to embrace the beautiful Bixby bridge, obliging photographers to click while I increased my strides. 



Highway 1 where the race was conducted, was filled with a sea of runners and race officials on their bikes, ensuring whether runners were doing ok. Aid stations were placed at appropriate intervals serving Gatorade and water. A couple of them even had GU gels(energy gels) which helped me conquer those unrelenting inclines. At one point, I saw sea gulls flying over the ocean and the waves crashing on the rocks below. The seagulls were calling out in their shrill voices, probably cheering the runners. 

I passed volunteers, runners, musicians and spectacular breathtaking views. Yes, literally speaking the hills took my breath away while I was trying to gain solace from the magnificent views around me. The trees, mountains, rocks and the ocean were silent spectators who were watching the mighty inclines humble the human race. 

I rambled on, deriving energy from the aid stations, volunteers and fellow runners. I saw the pacers of the full marathon going ahead. A lady was running strong and telling her friend that since she had already qualified for Boston, she was taking this full marathon easy. I saw her running with the 3:30 hour bus. Goodness! What an inspiration, I thought. 

The hills were never ending. It was like a series of chain-an army that were ready to put up a tough stance. It is said that in any sport, it’s purely a mental game. If your mind is strong, the legs have no choice but to obey. Both my body and mind were strong as I tackled one hill after another. There was no sign of cramping thanks to the regular hydration throughout the course. All that hill training at Stanford dish were coming in handy. My watch beeped at 32 km mark. It is said in a full marathon; the race actually began now. My breathing was rhythmic and so were my strides. My legs felt on fire but they were rearing to go. They were my ally in my battle with the hills which kept rolling on and on. “You got this one,” a volunteer shouted. “Follow that pacer. He knows what he is doing.” 

I looked at my watch. I would finish a sub 4 if I continued this pace, which was good considering the elevation profile. I ran hard. There was this huge hill just before the finish line. I heard the voice of the emcee and the crowd cheering. Pushing my arms up and in an action used to climb stairs, I tackled that hill and sprinted all the way to the finish line, hearing the emcee call out my name. 

My official time was 3:57:05! I was elated and literally kissed my finishers medal. I had energy! If only had I got into the lots, I would have run the full marathon and it would have been a Sub 5 finish (under 5 hours. That was a big deal at Big Sur! 



Engulfed by the runner’s high, I was ready to celebrate. I hoped that I would be lucky enough for my name to be drawn in the lots and that I could do the full marathon someday. For now I just want to sign off by saying To sur with love! 


Comments

KParthasarathi said…
A great job and well- done. Keep it up.
I admire your passion for running, attention to fitness at highest level and your consistency.
May many laurels come to you.

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

The Call of the Wild : Movie review