Ice : Word prompt


 Wrote this for fun as the word triggered a pleasant memory from a recent vacation. 


Ice 


Mendocino is about 3 and a half hours from where I live in California. It’s a beautiful coastal town with spectacular views of the ocean. The headlands stretched in acres and overlooked the pristine blue pacific. Mornings and evenings were spent in hiking on these muddy trails. 


While trekking amidst nature’s abode, I noticed some tiny shrub like vegetation, growing along the sides of the cliffs and on these headlands. Appearing in a multitude of colors, they appeared like a painting on a canvas. A small breeze tousled these little plants and they swayed in one direction. I moved closer to examine them and noticed that they had these tiny little spikes. In spurts of green, red and maroon, they spread out like a carpet. 


I bent down to touch them, curious to know what they were called. A sudden breeze tugged my hair and a lock fell over my eyes. Pushing it behind my ears, I continued to scrutinize these little wonders that enhanced the beauty of this retreat. 


For a minute they reminded me of the Tulip Garden in Holland. No they weren’t tulips. What could they be? I clicked several pictures of them and continued my hike. Yet my eyes never left these little mystical plants. My mind was as restless as the waves below as they crashed on the rocks. The shrill sound of the seagulls filled the air as I made my way back to the quaint inn where I was staying. 


“How was your hike? asked the owner, a friendly lady with a warm personality. 


“Oh absolutely wonderful! It was beautiful out there.”


“Did you spot anything interesting? Last week,  folks had seen some whales.”


“Oh really? No I didn’t. However I saw these tiny plants along the trails. They were really pretty. Any idea what they are called?”


I showed her the pictures that I had clicked. 


“Oh that. They are called the iceplants.  Quite common around the California coasts.”


“Oh nice! Interesting name.”


“You bet. Pretty aren’t they? Keep a watch out for the whales next time.”


“Will do”. 


After saying goodbye, I retreated to my room. I looked at the pictures from the hike again. Shades of green and red stared back at me. 


“Iceplant,” I said to myself. 


I marveled how nature had the ability to teach you something new. While I didn’t see any whales, I had a whale of a time by just the sight of these resplendent iceplants that adorned the cliffs of California.  These Iceplants were a good incentive to walk up those trails again. Maybe this time I’d spot a whale.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

My friend Ganesha: Friendship with God