Paper: Word Prompt



Wrote this based on a word prompt. The word was Paper. 

It was a rainy afternoon. I looked out of the window and watched the pitter patter rain drops fall delicately on the leaves of the tree outside. The overcast sky looked like a grey blanket that had been draped over the earth. I watched the raindrops collectively form puddles on the ground. As time elapsed, they began to look like small lakes. If I was a tiny creature, I’d have probably liked to go on a boat ride. 

It was then that an idea struck my head along with that flash of lightning that momentarily lit up the sky. An idea that would quench the spells of boredom that was beginning to engulf my restless mind. 

I looked at the notebook that was lying on my table. Tearing a sheet from it evoked a disapproving glance from my mother who looked up from her reading. In her opinion, papers in notebooks were as precious as probably pearls in the ocean. 

She looked at me quizzically as I folded the paper multiple times. I began to work on it deftly for a couple of minutes, recollecting what I had learnt from a friend of mine in school. When I had finished, I placed it on the centre of the table and looked at it proudly. 

The rain seemed to have suddenly stopped. I opened the door and rushed downstairs, ignoring my mother’s calls of asking where I was headed. I  only stopped when I reached the tiny lakes that I had seen from my window. 

I brought out my piece of craft and placed it on a tiny puddle. It bobbed and floated smoothly until it joined another stream of water. I watched it sailing away until it become a tiny white speck. It was for the first time that I had made a ‘paper’ boat. 

Just watching it float merrily down the gentle stream of water evoked a sense of joy that I still recollect today as an adult. It’s true to the saying that the simplest things in life bring joy. Such was the power of that ‘paper’ boat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

My friend Ganesha: Friendship with God