The unexpected podium: The Brisbane 15 k experience

When one thinks of Brisbane, the image of Australia immediately pops into the head. It was for the first time that I realized that there was a place called Brisbane in California which was situated to the south of San Francisco. It was about 45-50 minutes from my place and reiterated the fact that running was the best way to discover new places. 




I signed up for the Double 15 k which was organized by Bob Anderson, founder of the runner’s world magazine.  Incidentally the race was on the 2ndday of Navrun-a 9-day event conceptualized by Mumbai road runners where participants could either run 9 km for 9 days or do any form of workout for those 9 days wearing colors pertaining to that specific day. It’s based on the fact that fitness is religion and there couldn’t be a better way for runners/triathletes to celebrate this festival of Navratri. 

The color was white for this particular day. White is a special shade for me considering it’s the meaning of my name. It’s also a color that symbolizes neutrality, purity and peace and which calms the mind instantly.

Race morning: I left my place in the wee hours of the morning as the packet pick up was on the same day at 6:30 am. I reached the Yacht club as directed by GPS just in time to see the sky turn a glorious shade of orange. The reflection on the water below made it seem like a painter’s work of fine art. The break of dawn always caught my fancy as I associated it with a new beginning. Being caught up in this wonderful moment almost made me forget the reason why I was here. 



I began to walk towards the area where I was supposed to collect my bib. I spotted Bob and his beautiful wife Catherine. Greeting them amicable, I began to chat with Bob about the new place. It was his first edition at Brisbane and he was explaining the route.  I collected my Bib which was number 2-something that caught the attention of several participants that morning. After pinning my bib, I glanced at my watch. Still an hour to go before the run. Deciding to take some photos of sunrise and the calm blue waters, I basked in the morning glory.  



Participants began to stream in and I spotted some familiar faces from Bob’s earlier events. Getting into a conversation with a few of them, I learnt more about their running journey which proved to be a dose of inspiration.  It was always intriguing to hear about the story behind every runner. It could turn into a beautiful memoir-a genre that I enjoy reading. 

Race time: Now the month of September had been a strenuous one. I had finished my 2ndIronman 70.3 on September 8thand another Olympic distance triathlon on September 22nd. Both had been tough courses and I hadn’t taken a break. I decided to take this race as a training run for at my tempo pace assigned to me by my coach.  I was training for a full marathon anyways, so any kind of mileage would help.  

The run commenced sharp at 8:00 am. It was a beautiful course along the Marina Baylands.  I was treated to ocean views throughout.  The route was neither a road nor a complete trail. It was somewhere in between which made it quite unique with a couple of small inclines in between. The boats bobbed on the waters glistening in the sun that was up and shining brightly.  The sheet of blue sparkled in the rays and the pier looked rather pretty that morning. 



Run along the pier: It was nice to listen to music that morning for a change unlike in my triathlon events where headphones are banned.  The number ‘Beautiful’ by Ed Sheeran was playing at that moment and I couldn’t help thinking how it resonated with the surroundings. The pier looked absolutely beautiful that morning.  I crossed the bridge and as I kept going ahead, I noticed well-manicured green lawns to my right, a huge hotel which was a sign that the highway was nearby. That’s the beauty part of California where there are hidden gems tucked away behind the noisy highways.  


I soon noticed a participant on a wheelchair and was thoroughly inspired. I observed the manner in which that man kept pushing relentlessly. Kudos to such people, I marveled.  When I ran past him, I cheered him on.  Later I learnt his name and that he was a former jockey and lost his legs in an accident.  He was now raising awareness for Jockey and Jeans. Such is the beauty part of running where you stumble upon such inspiring people. 



I soon reached the turnaround point and continued my rhythm.  I was doing this on tired legs as the previous day I had participated in a Dri tri competition held at my gym. It was a vigorous workout which left my legs feeling sore. So, I took a couple of walk breaks to catch my breath.  Throwing some admiring glances at the pier, I kept going. 



The sun was up and I kicked myself for forgetting my glasses at home. Nevertheless, I managed. On the way back, I noticed a few men watering the lush green lawns so water split on the trails. It was a little slippery and I had to be cautious lest I slipped and fell. Last thing I needed was any kind of injury now. 



Sandwiched by green and blue on either side, I kept those strides going in a calm fashion. Not once did I bother glancing at my Garmin. I wasn’t racing that morning. I reminded myself. I soon neared the finish line where a couple of  volunteers directed the way.  The familiar arch of the finish line seemed to get nearer and nearer and embraced my strong finish.  When I say strong, it’s not a reflection of time but the manner in which I finished-with a sprint and not crawling to the finish like a dead duck. 



Post run surprise: I collected my finishers’ medal and plonked myself on the lawn where I began to chat with the man on the wheel chair. It was inspiring just listening to his story and his passion for doing such events. Later I went to the timing counter to find out my timing as I forgot to switch off my garmin once I reached the finish line.  I was pleasantly surprised to hear that I was placed 2ndin my age category. “What?” I asked. “You are second in your age category,” the man said patiently with a smile. In a dazed manner, I walked for a while in disbelief. This disbelief continued even when Bob handed over my medal. 



I wasn’t sure what it was. I hadn’t even raced and I had least expectations from this run. Yet I came 2ndwhich strangely coincided with my bib number. I realized that when you go with a peaceful mind and a pure heart, good things eventually come to you. 

Deciding to take this as a blessing from the Goddess, I offered a silent prayer on the way home. Navratri had begun on a good note!! 

Jai Mata di. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

My friend Ganesha: Friendship with God