The Therapeutic run: The San Francisco half marathon experience

The month of July had been a roller coaster ride. A lot of uncertainty and confusion with regards to certain decisions coupled with my triathlon training made it feel like I was on a perennial roller coaster ride.  I decided to take a break from my triathlon training and resort to some therapy. Personally, for me there was no better therapy other than running. 

The San Francisco marathon was scheduled on July 28th. This one holds a special place in my heart as I began my event calendar with this race when I landed in California for the first time back in July 2017. 

San Francisco is beautiful and picturesque with its scintillating views of the golden gate bridge arched over the pristine blue pacific.  Most run routes were designed in a way that gives you a view of the bridge. It made up for the fact that runners were subjected to some monstrous rolling hills. 




 Amit and I signed up for this race and it was one of the rare occasions where we were doing an event together as one of us have to take care of our daughter. Since my parents were visiting this summer, we had someone to babysit her. 

The full marathon had already begun at 5:30 am. The first half marathon which was scheduled at 6:30 am was slated to be a tougher one with an elevation gain of 700 feet. The second half marathon was scheduled later and that commenced inside the Golden gate park. Since I had run the second half in 2017, I decided to sign up for the first half which started at Embarcadero. 

The sun was already up and we were treated to the sight of the beautiful Bay Bridge against the backdrop of the orange sky.  The weather was pleasant and not too cold unlike the usual SFO weather. The holding area was bustling with runners doing warm ups and stretches. The run commenced sharp at 6:30 am. 



 I had planned to take this run as a training long run. It isn't every day that we get a chance to run in SFO and certainly a change from our usual haunt around Stanford campus. I soon set into my rhythm while Amit shot off like a rocket. He kept looking back at me to see if I’d catch up and I gestured asking him to go ahead. I ran by the fisherman’s wharf and fort mason where we had come to collect our bibs the previous day. The pace was comfortable and I was soon lost in my own world of steady strides along the streets of San Francisco. I passed the Yatch club and noticed the sails bobbing amidst the waves. I ran by the beach where a lady was playing with her dog in the water. They turned to watch the runners and I smiled and waved. 

Crissy field soon came into sight. The sheet of plush green saddled by trails and the view of the bridge made it an ideal spot for those photo opportunities. No doubt those pictures would make social media go green with envy. Several runners took a break from their strides and began to pose for selfies.  I smiled and ran ahead instead. At the 5thmile, I halted at the aid station to take a sip of water. The dirt road soon paved way to an incline which was just a preview to what lay ahead. The ascent began slowly and steadily. 

The climb to the Golden gate bridge was such a steep one that it humbles the fastest and strongest runner. My hill repeats came in handy and I continued to run on those inclines albeit at a slower pace. Others decided to walk up while I prodded along focusing on the music playing from my speakers.  Up and up and up, I began to feel like Jack climbing the beanstalk. The killer inclines seemed never-ending. Just like Jack, I found the treasure when the climb ended. It wasn’t a hen that laid golden eggs but a spectacular view of the golden gate bridge and the tranquil sheet of blue occasionally created ripples as it lashed against the shore.  



There was a gentle descent which gave respite to my quads. I put my hands up, basking in the beauty of the surroundings. I felt so light and free, gliding like a bird down those slopes.  The joy was short-lived as another incline greeted me. Boy! This wasn’t slated as a badass route for nothing. Pounding my legs again, I kept going up and up on those trails taking sips from my bottle that contained Gatorade.  

As time flew, I realized that I had finished 9 miles and I was soon entering the Golden gate park. The sun was up and my heart went out to those doing the full marathon. It was a route of never ending inclines. Usually for amount of elevation gain, you would get the similar amount of elevation loss. Not on this one.  At the 11thmile, I felt a tap on my shoulder. To my surprise, it was Amit. He shook his head and muttered saying he lost steam as it was a tough course. This time he gestured me to go ahead.  

I continued running and soon crossed the finish line with a little jig in my step. Amit joined me a couple of minutes later saying that I ran strong. Yes, it was a strong training run where I had maintained the pace that my coach Viv asked me to. After receiving the beautiful medal, we headed to the beer garden to chill out for a while. 











Merry laughter floated in the air and we exchanged smiles with fellow runners who stated how tough the route had been. Overall it had been a morning with positive vibes and the endorphins continued kicking even throughout the train ride home.  Running the SFO marathon felt like catching up with an old friend for coffee. It certainly was therapeutic and the feeling lingered on for the rest of the day!



Comments

KParthasarathi said…
Congratulations.I admire your steadfast interest and passion for running and your successful and creditable completion each time.Luckily for you bothe,each one is support and inspiration for the other. Keep it up.

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

The Call of the Wild : Movie review