Saying cheers post a run: The beer run experience

Complimentary chilled beer? Post a 10-km run? The offer was too tempting to resist. I came across this post about a city beer run on Facebook on a Saturday morning when I had finished a 2-km open water swim. The run was to be held the next day. 

I scanned the details and found that the bib collection was just 15 mins away from the place of my open water swim. Thankfully the race wasn’t sold out so I instantly signed up for it in the car while my hubby drove me down to the packet pick up.






The run was scheduled at 11 noon. Being peak summer, the temperatures soared mercilessly. It wasn’t any different that Sunday.  I reached Coyote point recreational area which was 30 minutes from where I lived. It was a familiar place as I had come for an open water session a couple of weeks ago. The lush green picnic area overlooked the pristine blue pacific. The waves were friendly and calm for a change. Families and dogs splashed in the water merrily. 




I stood near the start line waiting for the run to begin. It was a friendly atmosphere and runners were looking forward to the beer session post the run. Many were remarking about the weather that had suddenly risen in the last 30 minutes. It felt like someone had turned on the microwave. 

The run commenced sharp at 11. Part of the course overlooked the azure blue ocean before it diverged into a trail. There was no shade and the sun was beating down in an unrelenting manner. I had planned on taking this run easy. When my Garmin beeped at the first km mark, I was surprised to see a pace of 5:36. Goodness! I definitely need to slow down else I would break down especially in this heat. I kept going and ended up taking a couple of walk breaks as the heat became unbearable. There were couple of inclines on the course which I managed to tackle.






At one point the route overlooked a marshy area which glistened in the heat giving it a rather charming look. After 7.5 km, I stopped at the aid station to get some water. I knew I’d lose a couple of minutes and miss by sub 60. However, I also knew that I’d break down if I didn’t have water at that point. Taking several sips, I also poured some water on my head. The heat reminded me of the Kundalika race that took place every Feb-March near Mumbai. 


Just 2 km to the finish line, I thought and kept going. More inclines welcomed me in the woods and I managed to surpass them. I guess all that leg strengthening and CrossFit sessions were coming in handy. Or maybe the thought of chill beer made me feel strong enough to endure the brutal conditions. Or maybe I was just crazy. 

I was almost home and heard the emcees voice. The holding area was set up like a carnival and the familiar arch of the finish line was soon in sight. I turned and ran towards it managing to finish strong in 1:01:48. Not bad I thought considering it was 12 in the afternoon. 

Instead of a medal, the finishers were handed a green colour beer mug. 




 I walked over the stalls and tried some root beer. My hubby and daughter were on their way and reached the place by 12:30. I tried some beers from the breweries, clicked pics and bought some Mexican tacos from the stall. We picnicked in the tables around the park and strolled by the beach. It was certainly a Sunday well spent! I still couldn’t fathom what drove me to run in the heat. 





Beer, madness or love for running? Maybe all of it! This beer run definitely left me in high spirits and in good cheer! (Pun intended) 



Comments

KParthasarathi said…
I relished the pun.Frankly you would have run with or without beer,even for tender coconut water for the simple reason running marathons gives you the kick and joy!! Sometimes I wonder why take on a challenge in oppressive climatic conditions.

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

The Call of the Wild : Movie review