The Hot Chocolate run experience

 


It was still dark outside when I got into my Uber. Cold, but not as cold as I expected it to be, strangely since it was the month of January. I reached San Francisco state parking lot and got inside the shuttle that was supposed to take us inside Golden Gate Park. I sat in my seat, listening to the conversation between two runner women seated behind me. I normally feel bad about eavesdropping but I decided to treat this as an exercise for my dialogue writing. One of the books I read recently emphasized on this exercise to improve the art of dialogue writing. 

We reached Golden Gate park which was swarming with runners, volunteers and race organizers. Long lines, excited chatter, corals at the start line. I waited there, observing the crowd as I usually did. It was beginning to get brighter as the darkness dissipated. I met a runner aquaintance before the 15 km run began. I met him at another event in December and remained in touch since then. The best part about running was meeting several people and getting to talk to them before the run. San Francisco especially has that friendly vibe, which is why I love running here. not to mention, Golden gate Park is one of my favourite places to run. 

The run began at 8:30 am. It was quite warm and the sun was out. I recollected how cold it was 4 years ago when I ran this race for the first time. It helped with my timing which was 1:30 back then. But then it was a time when my sole focus was on running and there wasnt a break in my running. No pandemic. Anyway, I digress. It felt wonderful to run in golden gate park again. Those incredible sights, the inclines. How I'd come here sometimes before classes at USF wondering if I'll ever get to run again. Here I was living my dream. 

The first 3 miles was downhill and I ended up running 10 mins a mile pace. It felt good to be running at that pace after a long time. I ran past stow lake, watched the ducks in their splendor, got into my zone with EDM blaring from my speakers. I followed the sea of runners upt to the windmill which was the end of 3 miles. I turned at Ocean beach, watching the waves to my right and fighting the breeze. Its always challenging running there, battling headwinds and forces of nature. Back in 2020, I remember fighting headwinds to an extent where I felt I wouldnt finish the race. I watched some runners walk and run at this point. Volunteers egged us on, fellow runners cheered one another. the camaraderie in a race with a bunch of strangers was just inexplicable. I soon found myself at the end of the 6th mile and turning into the park again. I glanced at my watch. The timing had improved from my previous runs. Never mind that in the past I clocked 6 miles in less than an hour. I had to tell myself that I was starting all over again. Pandemic took a toll on my health, mental health and new additions and work load of my MFA program. 

The heat was unrelenting. Talk about global warming. Was this really winter? Its always been the case at SF. I'd end up dressing as an eskimo while the heat would make me want to jump into the ocean. After the 7th mile, I hit the wall. Never ending inclines ahead of me. I looked around at others-some were walk running-one strategy to tackle hills. I tried doing the same. My calves ached, my quads cried. My ego wouldnt give up. Come on I told them, these were legs which have seen gigantic inclines at Big Sur and San Francisco Half marathon. They weren't the same. More hill repeats I made a note to myself. Back then I was running at Stanford Dish. Nothing else matters from Metallica was playing just then. Pefect timing. It took me back to a mantra I usually followed-You are your only competiion. Nothing else really matters. I glanced at my watch, the minutes ticking away as I survived th inclines. I heard the emcees voice, and gathered my reserves. I made a dash for the finish line where photographers clicked away. I heard someone say strong finish. 



It felt great to sprint to the finish line, especially after hitting a wall. I was garlanded the delicious looking chocolate medal. Armed with the medal and runners high, I walked around Golden Gate Park, admiring the scenery, the big giant wheel, walked past Shakespeare garden, onto the road where I caught an Uber to meet a friend at Pier 26. Walking by the ocean, watching the seagulls, laughter, conversation and a vegan smoothie. It was a perfect sunday! It might not have been my best run but finished strong. Icing on the cake was to start off the year on a sweet note. Nothing Else matters. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 meters : Movie Review

The Chennai resistance

My friend Ganesha: Friendship with God