Sunday, December 11, 2011

Black Friday for Kolkata

It was a tragic day for Kolkata when 83 lives were preyed by the fire that broke out in Amri Hospital. Despite receiving warnings regarding the fire safety measures in July, the authorities failed to pay heed which resulted in this horrifying incident. It was reported that the employees fled the scene, leaving the patients to succumb to the flames. The relatives of the patients were extremely angry at the way their near and dear ones were choked to their deaths.

It makes one retrospect as to why couldn’t the authorities take proper safety measures? Carelessness exhibited has led to loss of several lives in a brutal manner. It indeed exhibits irony, where people are kept in hospitals with the purpose of being on the road to recovery, not to be engulfed by the flames of death. It amounts to a heinous crime and one hopes that the board of directors who have been arrested will not go unpunished.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger KParthasarathi said...

No public building like school,college,mall,hospital or hotel should be given licence to opoerate unless clearance is given at sufficiently responsible level for compliance with fire safeguards.These happen with such regularity that all state governments should enact provisions for this purpose.
Punishment should be deterrent for violators.

1:57 AM  
Blogger Whirlwind said...

Am completely with you on that KP! Infact now all the hospitals in the country have come under a scanner for safety measures after this incident.

5:53 AM  
Blogger R.Ramakrishnan said...

Very unfortunate & gory accident - two reasons for this: a)Shortcuts by the Hospital management,flouting the rules,not following safety norms b)Indifference on the part of the authorities for awarding license without ensuring that safety norms are strictly implemented. My heart goes out to the victims as well as their families.

2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home